Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drive from Narita to Nagano JR Station 2015/12/26 12:09
Hi,
I plan to arrive 27 Jan morning in Narita. Hope to get a rental car from the airport and drive to Nagano JR Station where my hotel is. Then again, since I am driving, I might change the hotel to a ryokan near the Snow Monkey Park. Any suggestions?
From my googling, it seems the drive takes about 4 hours, is it an easy drive? Any idea of the highway tolls involved?
Rgds
hosg15
by hosg15 (guest)  

Re: Drive from Narita to Nagano JR Station 2015/12/26 16:07
From my googling, it seems the drive takes about 4 hours, is it an easy drive?

No, you will have to drive through the expressway labyrinth that leads through central Tokyo (in about a year from now it will become possible to bypass Tokyo). It is very stressful to drive through Tokyo. And often also very crowded. Later along the trip, you will be passing higher elevations that may be covered in snow during the winter. That can also be challenging. For comfort and speed, I recommend to take the train as far as Nagano. If you have lots of luggage, you can consider using a delivery service.

Any idea of the highway tolls involved?

About 7000 yen one way.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Alternative 2015/12/26 17:37
Thanks Uji. Guess I have to change my travel plans. If I were to travel by train from Narita to Nagoya, how about driving a car for the route: Nagoya--Nagano-Takayama-Nagoya?

Pardon my ignorance... but don't roads in Japan get cleared of snow on a daily basis?
by hosg15 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drive from Narita to Nagano JR Station 2015/12/26 22:36
That would be silly, unless you were planning to go to Nagoya in the first place. Narita-Nagano by train takes about the same time as Narita-Nagoya, and is cheaper.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Drive from Narita to Nagano JR Station 2015/12/27 06:49
Hi, Firas,
I know Narita to Nagano is cheaper but I was trying to fit in Nagoya to visit the Winter Illumination park.
by hosg15 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread