Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kochi - how long? 2015/12/28 06:45
My husband and I will be visiting Kochi. We have been doing research but are unable to decide how long to stay? We will be incorporating Kochi with other cities and will be in Japan for approx. 1 month. Thank you very much for any input you may have.
by annie (guest)  

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/28 09:48
Depends what you plan to see or do there, but probably 1 or 2 days. We arrived in the afternoon, stayed overnight, wandered around in town and went to the castle the next morning.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/28 10:19
Sall thank you for your reply. There appears to be quite a bit to see.
by annie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/28 16:01
There definitely is. Outside of Kochi City is the Ryugendo Limestone Cave which was quite an amazing place to walk through. Other caves are much larger but it was just surreal going through a tunnel created over millions of years. The closest station to it is Tosa-Yamada.
In the city the castle was actually pretty good. The view over the whole are from atop Mt. Godaisan was just breathtaking. Getting there and back is rather inconvenient, so check the bus schedules. I saw some hungry cats there so you might bring a snack for them with you. Katsurahama Beach is also nice but rather time consuming to get to.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/29 23:16
Thanks Ken for the detailed info. Looks as if 2 or 3 full day may work.
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/30 00:43

Nov last year we spent 10 days travelling around Shikoku. We allocated 2 days 1 night for Kochi city, and frankly that was more than ample. The castle is probably one of the main attractions I would recommend.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/30 01:00
Kochi is a nice city. As one of the other users said, the sites within Kochi City are rather spread out, so having to take the bus can slow down your pace a bit between the castle and other sites closer to the station and the sites on Mount Godaisan and Katsurahama.

Some of the other sites within city limits are here:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Kochi_(Shikoku)

I will second Ryugado Cave as a great destination. I also liked the small historic town of Aki. It's nice cycling around to the sites. The capes are also popular. The Shimanto River is a nice place for biking and enjoying nature. You can make Japanese paper in Ino. There are also whale-watching opportunities in a few different cities.

The prefecture has a lot of interesting and worthwhile places but you don't mention the other cities in Kochi Prefecture that you plan on visiting and what sites you will see, so it's difficult to provide a timeline.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Kochi - how long? 2015/12/30 04:32
Thanks all. Think we are going to allow 2 full days in Kochi before heading on to our other destinations.
by annie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread