Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 06:49
I see from previous Q&A that credit cards were not very much in use in Japan - until 2013. In few months we will be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto & Hiroshima. If I need to pay all small travels (outside of JR pass), entry fees and all meals by cash, we need to carry over 200,000 Yen in cash. Luckily Hotel payments are already sorted.

What do people usually do?
by Nick (guest)  

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 10:15
Most tourist sites do not accept credit cards for small admission fees. Likewise, a considerable number of small restaurants in the countryside will not accept credit cards. Many larger restaurants, especially in or near railway stations and department stores will accept credit cards, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 10:32
You don't need to carry it all at once. You can withdraw cash with foreign cards at ATMs in 7-11s and post offices.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 11:56
For Japan, carrying that much cash is not a particular concern - probably only if you lose it somewhere. You can withdraw 100,000JPY at a time from the ATMs (7/11 and JP Bank) which is what I do.

For a lot of small places and purchases, cash would be preferred, even if they took credit cards. If you are buying more expensive items (say Y5,000+), then the store might have a CC facility, but check first. They probably don't want to incur the merchant fees.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 15:44
I am a Japanese living in rural area of south Kyushu. Recently, many if not all convenience stores and supermarkets in my area accept credit cards: they show sign of the acceptable cards so you can find them easily. I am not sure, but this acceptance of credit card occurred in recent couple of years.

Some family-run restaurants/stores do not accept credit cards so you might better have some cash, but I think you don't need to have big cash.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 17:37
Hi Frog1954 - are those international or domestically issued cards? There is a difference, hence the problems people having international brand cards refused at various terminals/ATMs.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 18:01
Hi,

Well, I am not sure whether my card is "international" or "domestic", but my card is ANA-VISA card which can be used abroad, in my experience. I used it in USA, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Norway, Iceland, Spain, etc. I think you can use your VISA or Master card. I want to know experiences from other persons.

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 18:10
Oh, I forgot to mention:

In the past (a few years ago, I am not sure), some supermarkets in our area only accept credit cards of their own brand (they are VISA or Master, but also have their logos). Recently they accept all the VISA or Master card.

Re: Credit card acceptabilty these days? 2016/1/11 18:13
JapanCustomTours,

I believe frog1954 was talking more about paying at shops rather than ATMs.

Visa or MasterCard cards are accepted at a shop if they have a sign saying "Visa" or "MasterCard" at the cashier/window of the shop, regardless of whether those were issued in Japan or outside Japan.

Whether a certain shop "prefers" cash because of the merchant fee is up to them - if they decide to accept credit cards, they will have more wider potential customer base, but that comes at the cost of the fee.

The only difference (at least I am aware of) between cards domestically issued or otherwise is when withdrawing cash at ATM; MasterCard/Maestro branded IC chip cards issued outside Japan have had problems withdrawing cash at post office ATM in Japan. They can be used to withdraw cash at Seven Bank ATMs and Aeon Bank ATMs.

http://www.mastercard.co.jp/personal/atm-notification.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread