Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How many days in Hiroshima for my trip? 2016/1/12 12:34
Hello,

I plan to visit Hiroshima in the next month, from Nagoya.

I will mainly visit the city (Memorial Park & Museum, Castle, Mazda Museum and Shukkeien Garden, Downtown) and make 2 or 3 sidetrips :
- Miyajima
- Iwakuni
- Onomichi (I am hesitating for this one, is it worth it ? I would like to take a cycle ride in the Shimanami Kaido)

How many days should I need to visit everything I want ?
Also, is stopping at Okayama just for its garden a good idea ?

Thank you
by titanosk  

Re: How many days in Hiroshima for my trip? 2016/1/12 13:47
I'd say a full day for the city, a full day for Miyajima and half a day each for Iwakuni and Onomichi (if you visit).

Okayama is worth it for the garden, and the castle is right next door so you can visit that at the same time. In some seasons the garden does not look as spectacular (e.g. I went in autumn 2014 and it definitely wasn't its best, but it was still lovely).

If you need something else to do around Okayama, and miss out on your bike ride at Onomichi, look up cycling the Kibi Plains. I did that as a half-day trip out of Okayama and loved it. You visit a couple of shrines and a temple, but the real joy is cycling past the rice fields and getting cherry greetings from the locals. The only trouble was returning the bike at Soja...I got lost!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How many days in Hiroshima for my trip? 2016/1/12 16:27
Hello,
I plan to visit Hiroshima in the next month, from Nagoya.

I will mainly visit the city (Memorial Park & Museum, Castle, Mazda Museum and Shukkeien Garden, Downtown) and make 2 or 3 sidetrips :
- Miyajima
- Iwakuni
- Onomichi (I am hesitating for this one, is it worth it ? I would like to take a cycle ride in the Shimanami Kaido)

How many days should I need to visit everything I want ?
Also, is stopping at Okayama just for its garden a good idea ?

Thank you

Looking at what you want to do...
I would say 1.5 days for Hiroshima City
First, make sure you have the Mazda Museum tour reserved. If you do, then I assume you will take the 10am English tour? That's going to cut into your day quite a lot, but even so, I think you could probably do that followed by the Peace Museum sites in one day.

With the half day, I would do the things you couldn't do on the first day (Shukkeien, Castle, downtown or whatever) and then do Iwakuni the same day.

Miyajima can take a full day or just an hour or so depending on how much you plan to do/see. Itsukushima Shrine is near the port, along with shops and restaurants, so if that's all you want to see, you don't need a lot of time. If you want to see Mount Misen, Daishoin Temple, etc. it will require a lot more time.

Cycling the Shimanami Kaido is definitely a full day thing. Are you planning to cycle all of it? You have to remember that you'll also need enough time to get back to Onomichi from Imabari if you do.

Okayama is quite nice. If you will go after February 3, the garden may be black from the annual burning of the grass that takes place. It's very different than the rest of the year.
by Fz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How many days in Hiroshima for my trip? 2016/1/12 16:30
A lot depends on your travel pace and interests, but you can see Hiroshima in a day (also don't miss the Okonomiyaki-mura, and on the city's west side the Mitakidera temple is a hidden jewel), at least ¾ of a day for Miyajima (the Itsukushima Shrine you can be through in half an hour, but the Daishoin Temple is a beautiful place you could easily spend 60-90 minutes at. It's up to you if you want to climb up to Mt. Misen, but if the weather is good, the view is really nice.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-iCNZ6AdsKGUB-HPKNxP1...

Both Iwakuni and Onomichi are well worth it. The bridge at Iwakuni is one of the most unique you'll see in Japan. The mountaintop castle makes a great place to visit as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COOZXi66mM
For Onomichi, none of the temples on the temple tour will seriously impress you, but if you have the chance, the Kosanji Temple is the real jewel in Onomichi and it's no surprise that many refer to it as a "Buddhist Disneyland".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Q5EjEOXI8

For Okayama, the Korakuen Garden is rated as one of Japan's traditional Top 3, although February is not a great month to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zAI3_N7NEM
Another gem nearby is the Handayama Garden, which has far fewer people and a very peaceful atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQ8o7k9GbA

One suggestion if you can swing it is go see the Akiyoshido Limestone Cave in Yamaguchi. It's a 300 million year old wonder with massive underground caverns and a river running through it. It's the biggest in East Asia that's open to the public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIKC9S8TFQ
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How many days in Hiroshima for my trip? 2016/1/12 18:39
Thank you for your rich inputs.
Regarding your answers, it seems that visiting the Okayama's garden in February is not the best moment. So I think I will skip it, and concentrate onlt on Hiroshima and side visits.
I planned this schedule :

Day 1 : Hiroshima
(Arrival by Shinkansen at 9-10 am at Hiroshima)
1) Shukkeien Garden
2) Hiroshima Castle
3) Peace Park & Museum
4) Dowtown (evening)

Based on what I read, the garden, castle and park are really closed and can be done in one day.

Day 2 : Miyajima
1) Itsukushima Shrine + Port Area
2) Daisho-in Temple + Mount Misen (ropeway)

I'd like to spend a full day in Miyajima if the weather is nice, allowing me to go to the top of Mount Misen (with ropeway if I don't have enough time). I enjoy landscapes and photography so I don't want to miss the view

Day 3 : Shimanami Kaido

Also, I think a full day is good, even if I don't make the whole trip to Imabari. I was thinking making half or 1/3 of the route and stopping at Ikuchijima Island in order to see the Kosanji Temple.
But can I rent a bicycle (regular system) for the day and turn around in the route whenever I want ? I am not a pro of cycling and I always enjoy having breaks to take pictures.

Day 4 : Mazda Museum (10 to 11.30 am)
Then Iwakuni in the afternoon

What do you think ? Thank you again.
by titanosk rate this post as useful

Re: How many days in Hiroshima for my trip? 2016/1/12 20:17
just some food for thought...

for the fact that you mentioned an interest in cycling and that if time does not permit you might only do half or 1/3 of the kaido, makes me want you to consider 2 days in onomichi.

i am somewhat bias as onomichi was my favourite port of call in my 25 day japanese holiday in july of 2015.

it is one of the most relaxing and beautiful bike rides i have ever done. u are able to stop at any time and you ever know what little beach, view or township is around each corner.

bike hire is ridiculously cheap and you are able to drop off along the way without having to ride all the way back - just catch bus back :)

have fun!
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread