Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 17:14
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am travelling to Tokyo at the end of February where I will be staying for 2 weeks. It is my intention to visit as much of the districts in Tokyo as well as day trips to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Mount Fuji and possibly Osaka.

I have read the main site and I am thoroughly confused about what rail card to purchase! I think I will need to get a prepaid card to use the underground and then maybe just purchase tickets on the day for the day trips.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Also, what cards would be best to buy?

by Davewig1980 (guest)  

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 18:03
Day trips to Osaka or Hiroshima from Tokyo are possible but not ideal. Most people would stay in Osaka and/or Hiroshima to explore western Japan.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 18:25
I agree with Firas that you should consider staying over in Western Japan - maybe you can stay over for several days in either Kyoto or Osaka, and visit Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima from there.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 18:33
Ok, thanks!

Any clue what sort of rail pass to use whilst travelling within Tokyo? Would the prepaid card be enough?

I am a bit scared of getting one and then finding out I can't use it on the network!
by Davewig1980 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 18:36
Within and around Tokyo, yes, either SUICA or PASMO prepaid card will be fine. It is not a flat-rate "pass," just to be sure. The fare for the ride you've taken will be deducted from the prepaid card, so you need to top it up once in a while (depending on how much you travel).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 18:40
Ok cool! So just to make sure, it doesn't matter which pass I get (SUICA or PASMO), both will do the same thing and allow me on the same trains/underground and possibly metro too?
by Davewig1980 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 19:48
I agree with the other postings, you need to consider a stopover in Kyoto or Hiroshima. Are you obtaining a JR pass (7days) to cover long distance to/from Tokyo? You can also use on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo.
by Couldabeen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused by rail passes 2016/1/12 22:16
There's a lot of different passes. Here's something that has worked for me in the past. It assumes you're fling in and out of Narita.

When you get off the plane and out of customs, you'll need to get into the city. A quick and easy way is the Keisei Skyliner. If you buy the round trip ticket, they can bundle that with a 2 day Tokyo Metro pass. It's a good deal and lets you travel unlimited on most subways. You will still probably need a Suica or Passmo card charged up with some money for other lines such as the Toei line and JR local trains, but it's a start and will let you spend the first chunk of your trip in Tokyo.

The long distance pass is the JR Rail Pass. It's roughly $300 for a 7 day pass, but it's cheaper than a round trip to Osaka. You can buy a JR pass OUTSIDE Japan only. Activate it on the day you want to head down to Osaka/Kyoto, and you'll be there in 3 hours. You can then use that area as a base and explore Hiroshima, Kobe, whatever. They're all easy day trips from Osaka. Spend six nights in Western Japan and use the pass on its last day to head back to Tokyo.

For Mount Fuji and the Fuji Five Lakes region, you won't need a train; the bus from Tokyo is quicker and cheaper. Less than $20 one way, if I recall. The station is in Shinjuku.
by DarkRiderTommy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread