Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 10:43
I plan to go to japan for around 21-25 days depending on my situation.

How much money should i bring to japan (assuming i eat cheap but not expensive either)

currently i am thinking of bringing 50,000 yen to japan, but is that enough?

How much will i be able to eat? How much more do i need to eat more? or if i can eat more for less?

Thanks
by Explorerz (guest)  

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 11:04
currently i am thinking of bringing 50,000 yen to japan, but is that enough?

Is that just for food? If so then you have a budget of approximately 2000 yen per day which is about the bare minimum you would need. That does not leave much room for flexibility or much culinary enjoyment though, and you won't really be able to drink at that budget level.

How much will i be able to eat?

If that was my budget I would break it down this way:

Breakfast: 0-300 yen (conbinis primarily, or free hotel if lucky)
Lunch: 500-1000 yen (make this your big meal, lunch deals are easy to find around 1000 yen)
Dinner: 500-1000 yen (gyudon, udon, ramen, not much variety after awhile at this budget, doesn't support drinking more than the occasional beer)

How much more do i need to eat more?

If you can expand to 3000 yen you'll have much more flexibility, and 5000 yen would allow you to dine with very little restrictions.

or if i can eat more for less?

I don't think you can do much more for less, but you can definitely eat less for more! If that's your food budget then it's probably worth considering shortening your trip to have a bigger budget to enjoy yourself during your time here.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 11:15
Much Thanks

The money is mainly going towards food, so i needed to know how much i need to budget (or bring) to japan.

Anyways thanks again for the answer!
by Explorerz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 11:20
The money is mainly going towards food, so i needed to know how much i need to budget (or bring) to japan.

So that budget is not exclusively for food? In that case it's probably not going to be sufficient for your trip. How much are you budgeting for transportation and accommodation?

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 11:26
Sorry, i meant that for cash amounts, ill be spending on food, since i assume a lot of stalls or small restaurants (Udon, Ramen, Gyuudons, etc) will not accept credit cards and stuff.

For accommodation and transportation i plan to allocate $1500 - 2500 CDN (plan to live in the "Gaijin" places), as for my transportation, my trip is mainly centered around food and anime culture.

Of course for accommodation and transport i try to be cheap but not at the expense of my health and stuff.

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 11:35
Transportation can cost a lot, depending on where you want to go. If you want to travel to different cities, you're going to need a lot more money! Even travelling within cities can get pricey, I assume you're not going to walk everywhere...

Also factor in things like: sightseeing costs, souvenirs, emergencies (e.g. missed last train, medical, etc.)...

Taking just 50,000 yen for more than 20 days is definitely not enough, even if that is just for food.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 12:01
well, i plan to roll my card as much as possible. i just do not like the fact ill be carrying large amounts of cash on me, if you know what i mean.

I also will be getting travel insurance for the certain emergency and a specialized card for any monetary emergency.

For sightseeing.... i don't have much love to scenery and culture aspects besides anime related stuff, the "otaku" stuff for a simple classification.

Just planning my trip for a general amount (assuming nothing blows up)

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 13:01
You should never assume that something "won't blow up", and travel insurance won't get you the money straight away, it normally reimburses you after you have spent money.

You don't need to carry all the cash on you. You can use credit/debit cards in a lot of major retailers, and get cash out of ATMs with foreign cards at 7-11s and post offices.

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 13:32
Of course, if anything comes up, i have a backup plan.

I will still be carrying my debit/credit cards and cash that has not been converted. But the reason i ask, is because i rather not have to get charged by the fees from grabbing cash from foreign machines.

Naturally i will if i need the cash, but i am trying to minimize the amount of extra expense without going overboard.

Of course this may seem a bit much compare to the amount i save in doing so, but i am simply trying to explore my options and arrange my trip accordingly.

Also on a side note, how does disposable underwear sound?

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 14:11
Of course, if anything comes up, i have a backup plan.

Good to hear. Being stuck without cash totally sucks (it has happened to me).

I will still be carrying my debit/credit cards and cash that has not been converted. But the reason i ask, is because i rather not have to get charged by the fees from grabbing cash from foreign machines.

You'll be happy to hear then that withdrawing money from your home account (in yen from Japanese ATM machines) is actually one of the more cost effective ways to convert currencies in Japan. Just make sure you have a compatible card and use a postal or 7-11 atm. Conversion works out to around 2% assuming no/low atm fees. Check with your bank before you leave.

For accommodation and transportation i plan to allocate $1500 - 2500 CDN (plan to live in the "Gaijin" places), as for my transportation, my trip is mainly centered around food and anime culture.

I feel that if food is one of your main points then you should try to budget more toward it, otherwise you might find yourself priced out of a lot of variation.

Also on a side note, how does disposable underwear sound?

Honestly it sounds bad. Are you trying to avoid doing laundry? Are you not planning on washing your other clothes? If you are trying to save money then get a travel clothesline and wash your clothes in the sink. No need for disposable underwear but you can throw them out at some point if you're trying to save luggage space.

Re: Bring money to japan for food 2016/1/13 14:37
Look into a travel money card. Here in Australia, all the major banks and several foreign exchange companies offer them. They allow you to pre-load the foreign currency, locking in the exchange rate, and many have no ATM fees. That way, you could keep more money in "card form" without worrying about fees.

Laundry machines are really cheap to use in Japan; some accommodation places also have them available for use for guests. Don't throw clothes away unless that's all they're good for - you'll find yourself spending money to replace them once back home!

reply to this thread