Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

ICU University in Tokyo 2016/1/14 05:29
Hi,
I'm currently a junior and getting ready to start thinking about college. I'm Japanese-American, (Japanese born and raised in the US), and I am fluent at speaking but have some troubles reading/writing at times. I've been always wanting to go to Icu though, to learn in a English-Japanese system.
By the application period I plan to have at least a 3.5 or above GPA, along with an score of at least 1200 on the NEW SAT, (approximately around 1800 on the old SAT).
Does anyone know if I'd have a good shot? Or is my gpa or SAT too low?
I'm also looking into Sophia University also.

(I know that College in Japan is not the best, please do not lecture me about going to college in the US)
by koko25 (guest)  

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/6 13:35
Hi! Did you end up applying to ICU?

I miraculously got accepted and will be starting this September. I'm very very excited. I'm looking for other people who are also in the same boat as me but there seems to be no FB group etc.

It'd be great if you did apply and got accepted though :)
by naomini (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/8 19:30
NAOMINI! I also got accepted and Im going this September. So we are on the same boat! You probably won't see this but I hope you do :( Ive also been looking for people who've also been accepted
by Ha2768 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/9 02:20
No I haven't applied because I'm still a junior, but I plan to next year. What was your SAT scores and GPA like?? I'm so anxious that I'm not going to be accepted.
by koko25 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/11 19:06
Ha2768!! Finally someone else who is going this September!! Have you applied for any dorms? If so, which one? I applied for Global House but apparently it's really hard to get in so I'm praying that I will haha.

Koko25: I didn't do SAT's because I'm from Australia, but my marks were around A-B+. Luckily I was really close with my teachers who wrote my letters of recommendation so they could write a lot about me. Don't have a GPA either because I've only been going to university for a few months. Either way, you should go for it! You never know :)
by naomini (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/11 19:59
Naomini: thanks I'll try! Hope to join you guys next year :) (And hopefully you get your dorm because there's a whole race for those at ICU--but since it's Mitaka, Tokyo there's probably a lot of cheaper apartments around too)

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 01:16
@Naomini: Yeah! I initially wanted global house but I heard about how competitive it is so I applied for Zelkova, Gringko and Oak house instead as my first choice and global house as my 2nd. Have you sent in your entrance procedure documents and dorm application? I haven't yet, planning to after school is over. I really hope I get into dorms since its a huge part of the experience :D. Btw do you speak any Japanese?

@Koko25 You should check the FAQ section of the ICU website, it answers all your questions. Also, if you are still unsure, email them. They respond quickly.

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 01:59
I've checked the site multiple times already lol. I just wanted to hear from someone who actually got in this year rather than seeing the average for the SAT that they put up years ago on the site. I doubt they'd tell me an average for GPA :/ (they'd probably tell me above a 3.0).
by Koko25 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 04:52
@koko I think you should just try your best and apply. I'm not American so I didn't apply with SATs and that stuff. Though I emailed them a lot of questions prior to and throughout the application process and they were really helpful in answering whatever I needed to know.

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 08:22
@Ha2768: Yeah I guess so. Even though its a year away I'm super nervous...I'll try emailing them later on this year to see if they'll give me any useful information. You're so lucky you got in though! Congratulations :) It'd be nice if you could come back to this thread eventually and tell me what ICU life is like.

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 08:54
@Ha2768 I've sent in my dorm application but not my entry procedure stuff yet, still a bit to do with my health report stuff haha. I applied for Global House anyway because apparently a bulk of international kids live there and my friend who is currently attending ICU and living in global house told me that they're accepting a few more than usual this year! So why not take the chance. I put Oak, Zelkova and Gingko house as my second preference. I am really hoping I do get into global though.

I am Japanese-Malay but I've lived in Australia since birth. Nonetheless, I speak Japanese at home every day :) Do you?
by naomini14 rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 17:31
@Koko Thanks! I definitely will! Good luck and hope to see you at ICU next year :)

@Naomini Wait, dorms aren't first come first serve right? I reallly hope not. I just waited this long to focus on school then after I'd send everything all together. I don't care which dorm I get into, I just want to get into one.

Also your nationality is such a cool mix! I sadly do not speak Japanese beyond the basic few phrases and being able to read hiragana, katakana and like 3 Kanji. I'm planning to start taking lessons this summer (winter for you) so I can get a more comfortable start in intensive JPL
by Ha2768 rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/13 19:17
Just as a matter of interest, can anyone tell me roughly what the student fees are at ICU?
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/14 15:22
@Ha2768 I surely don't think so! I just wanted to get everything done as early as I can :) I wouldn't stress though. If I may ask, where are you from? Are you starting as a regular student at ICU or a one year transfer?

@Saru Bob I'm not too sure but if you search it up on their website, i belive the info you need is all there

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/16 03:13
Hey Naomini and Ha2768! Sorry to kinda creep up but I also got accepted to ICU and am starting this fall. Did you two apply as a regular? I'm just looking for fellow Sep students 'cause there isn't a group on facebook, and the ICU class of 2020 group just seems to only have April students. Hope to hear from you guys!

Oh, and koko25, I applied from the states and I think what you have so far is good but having at least 1300 will make you a stronger candidate. Work on your community services, too! Wishing you the best of luck. (:
by septemberkid (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/16 10:31
@septemberkid: Thank you for the advice!! Yeah, I should probably aim for at least a 1300 to make up for my low-ish GPA. And community service...Oh no D: do clubs count? (Ex. key Club)

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/17 09:11
Koko25, clubs definitely matter! Make sure you secure some job positions (ex. president of the art club) for your resume.

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/17 21:11
@septemberkid hey! I'm going as a regular student too :) As for the FB group, one of my friends at ICU talked to her friends in it she got them to accept me :P Not gonna lie, there isn't much you're missing out on so don't stress! There's only about 3 posts.

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/18 17:06
@septemberkid
Yay another September student! :D I'm also going as a regular.
by Ha2768 rate this post as useful

Re: ICU University in Tokyo 2016/5/18 23:15
Namini, yeah, I'm in the group as well. It's really inactive compared to other schools' class groups!

Ha2768, yaaas! (:

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread