Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drift Ice walk at Abashiri 2016/1/14 11:10
I will be at Abashiri around 10~12 Feb 2016.

Thinking of should I go for the drift ice walk ? Will it be dangerous for a non-swimmer?
I am totally can't swim at all!
Afraid that might drop into the cold sea!

Or should I just have the drift ice sightseeing cruise .

Please advice.

Thanks
andy
by andy (guest)  

Re: Drift Ice walk at Abashiri 2016/1/15 10:57
Wow that's so exciting. Incidentally we will be in Abashiri on the 8th. However we will only have time for the Ryuhyo Norokko train rides between Abashiri - Shiretoko-Shari and cruise on the ice-breaker Aurora.

I think it should not be a problem since you will be under supervision from professional guides where they will keep you away from danger spots.

Also the dry suit you are required to wear will keep you pretty insulated from the cold and wet elements. You will have buoyancy from the sea water and dry suit should you go into the water.
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice walk at Abashiri 2016/1/15 13:01
You have no idea what happens, if you fall between a crack in the ice. You don't come out alive, period! Buoyancy by wet suit? Forget that. You are under tons of ice weight. Doesn't matter if you swim or not. You are frozen dead.
Just don't fall for your life.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice walk at Abashiri 2016/1/15 15:13
its so exiting
by PhilipTorres rate this post as useful

Re: Drift Ice walk at Abashiri 2016/1/15 16:08
Hi Andy, please check this Youtube on drift ice walking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3HEl-DU5wA

If you are feel confident doing what they were doing in the video, then have fun and enjoy doing the walk.
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

reply to this thread