Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/18 00:31
Planning a day trip there on Feb 11, can anyone share the experience during the winter month?
by Guest/Leland (guest)  

Re: Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/18 09:54
Awesome. I've been in December as well as in Spring. It gets very cold with the wind off the water, but then you enjoy the food more. Also it isnt as busy as it gets when it is warmer so there is less of a crush.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/18 11:12
The best thing about winter in that area is that you can expect a fantastic view of Mt. Fuji, while in summer the mountain tends to hide in the fog. But since the 11th is a holiday, it still will be extremely crowded. Study in advance or ask at the station so that you can explore the alleys behind Hachimangu or around Kitakamakura.

I'm a Yokohama resident and I enjoy strolling in the area in winter, while in summer I go straight to the beach to swim.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/19 02:57
I did a day trip in late-November on a weekday and was cloudy, rainy and pretty cold, so it might mimic a February day.

Kamakura was great no crowds and very few tour groups. I wouldn't postpone a trip if the weather is less than ideal.

Enoshima was a completely different story. The walk over the bridge to the island was cold and windy, and wasn't too pleasant. Also, a lot of the stores and restaurants remained closed. I wanted to eat at one of the restaurants but was closed. The crowds were thin which was great but the overall atmosphere was like a ghost town. I would either wait til Spring to go, or at least when it is sunny and warmer. I would not recommend going when its cold and cloudy.
by Villagemayor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/19 03:13
Just be aware the Buddha is being repaired until March 10.
http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160119/k00/00m/040/029000c
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/19 08:09
Thank you all for sharing.
by Leland (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima & Kamakura in February 2016/1/19 14:19
Enoshima was a completely different story. ....the overall atmosphere was like a ghost town.

Not to offend anyone, but this is a little bit hard to believe for me. I wonder if it was a Wednesday or Thursday when a lot of stores in general are closed.

The following link is from a Google image search on the Japanese key phrase "winter in Enoshima dining." Raw shirasu, which is one of the treats of the area, is not available during Jan-Mar, but otherwise you should be able to enjoy a lot of dining and shopping in Enoshima as well, including great boiled shirasu.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E5%86%AC%E3%81%AE%E6%B1%9F%E3%81%AE...
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread