Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gero Onsen to Takayama 2016/1/22 07:43
Hello,

I'll be staying in Gero Onsen on the 14th and 15th April 2016. The reason we're staying in Gero Onsen was because we couldn't get accommodation in Takayama for those dates, and I read it is a good place to stay for travelling to Takayama. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to travel between Gero Onsen and Takayama? We'll probably be travelling to Takayama quite early (maybe 8am-9am) and travelling back quite late due to the Spring Festival (maybe 10pm?) I checked Hyperdia and on the way its giving me "LTD. EXP (WIDE VIEW) HIDA 1" and on the way back its giving me "JR Takayama Line for MINOOTA", would anyone know if these are these covered under the JR pass or if there are better ways to travel between the two towns?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
by Emma (guest)  

Re: Gero Onsen to Takayama 2016/1/22 09:56
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Gero Onsen to Takayama 2016/1/22 22:17
Thanks for your reply Uji. I saw this before but it still kind of confused me, the part where it says "From Takayama, you can reach Gero by limited express (45 minutes, about 2000 yen, departures every 1-2 hours) or local train (1 hour, 970 yen, departures every 1-2 hours)." is from Takayama to Gero. Is the same route available the other way around? (From Gero to Takayama)
Thanks!
by Emma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gero Onsen to Takayama 2016/1/22 23:32
I checked Hyperdia and on the way its giving me "LTD. EXP (WIDE VIEW) HIDA 1" and on the way back its giving me "JR Takayama Line for MINOOTA", would anyone know if these are these covered under the JR pass or if there are better ways to travel between the two towns?

Yes both trains are covered by the JR Pass.

Your options are either trains or buses, unless you are renting a car, as explained on the page Uji linked for you.

Is the same route available the other way around? (From Gero to Takayama)

Yes, you found it on Hyperdia and asked about it in your first post. The LTD. EXP (WIDE VIEW) HIDA train is the limited express train and the JR Takayama Line for MINOOTA is the local train.

If you wanted to take the limited express back to Gero Onsen from Takayama, the last one departs at 6:45 pm according to Hyperdia. After that all that is available is the local train and the last one leaves at 9:45pm.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gero Onsen to Takayama 2016/1/22 23:46
Thanks so much for the detailed response! I really wanted to make sure I have everything accurate before going. I can add it to my travel routes now without worry :)
by Emma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread