Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 37

1 2
next

Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/27 18:33
I can't go into the specifics, for obvious reasons, but I was hired by Company A last month and I'm not really sure what to do, as they've already put in the paperwork to change my visa from student visa to a working visa. They're relatively small, somewhere between 50 amd 100 employees, but if my boss's home is any indication, the company is doing well financially.

My job description changed drastically since I was hired. Initially, I was told I'd be a private English teacher/tutor for company employees and a translator, but now I'm my boss's driver and "assistant" (aka servant). During the interview, I was told "‹x‚Ý‚ª‚ ‚Ü‚è‚È‚¢", but I did not realize it extended to weekends and public holidays. I've yet to get a single day off despite pulling 10+ hour days, as I was told it is "expected" (meaning unpaid) and that I misunderstood what the boss had meant when she explained my duties. I'm even guilt-tripped with the idea that "everyone else has been working hard without weekends, so why should a new hire be any different." I have heard nothing about health insurance, benefits, etc despite asking (I get roundabout answers or blatant "ask X person next time we're at the office" but never seem to have time to meet with them). When I asked when I would sign a contract, I was told that I "signed" an oral contract and that I'm already an employee, but that they would make one especially for me (I think it might be required for my sponsorship?). However they still have not shown it to me. I do know my salary - 200,000/month - but, in my opinion, that doesn't cover the level of stress I'm facing.

I'm frequently asked to buy things for my boss (expensive things) and have completely depleted my savings to the point where I've had to ask family members for financial help. But when I said I couldn't afford it, I was told I'd be reimbursed during the next pay period, so I shouldn't complain. I have no money to go home and was told I'd be charged for the remainder of my contract - I don't even know how long it is for (despite asking) - and the cost of my visa when I mentioned that I didn't think I was a good fit for the company to my manager. I suffer constant verbal abuse from my boss and the stress has gotten so bad I've developed health problems in just a month (stress blisters on my hands, brittle nails, blood pressure issues, fatigue, etc), but I have no leave to visit the doctor.

Additionally, I can't always get home. My boss's workday often ends too late for me to make all the train transfers and I have to stay in a company dorm. The room itself isn't terrible, but the reason that no one lives there now is because the heat is broken. My boss has offered to let me move in with her, but I'm utterly terrified that my job will become 24 hours a day, instead of just 10-12, so I keep making excuses...but I don't exactly have the capital to move either.

The final straw for me was when I was told by my boss's housekeeping staff (also foreign) that they were told a different story as well - they were told they would clean the house a few hours a day, but in reality are not allowed to leave for more than housekeeping-related errands. They are forbidden from visiting church. They suffer similar verbal abuse and, as they do not speak Japanese, I often have to interpret her orders when they make mistakes because she can barely string a coherent English sentence together.

I don't want to simply give up, but I honestly can't imagine myself continuing on like this for a year. The job itself isn't an issue, but I screw up more often when I'm exhausted (doesn't everyone?), which increases me getting chewed out, which increases my stress, and so on. Plus it isn't what I signed up for. Does anyone have any advice on how to say I'm worried about burn out and would like to be given a couple holidays a month? Everytime I've tried so far, I get guilt tripped. I'm worried about my health, but also about legal action if I try to leave...
by AliceInHell (guest)  

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/28 08:12
You should have quit that job a long time ago. Why bother staying?
by Tuna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/28 10:27
Sounds very illegal, and you need to figure out where you can get some help. Try your local city hall or ward office, many offer free legal to foreigners.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/28 12:25
generally speaking,
there is no way to teach legal ways to the persons who don't want to follow the laws.
just escape from a bad person as soon as possible.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/28 18:07
Does anyone have any advice on how to say I'm worried about burn out and would like to be given a couple holidays a month?

No offence, but do you honestly believe that such a way exists after everything you just said? I think you've made your feelings perfectly clear to your employer already. Get out or take legal action, I would be incredibly shocked if you found a way to make this job start working for you. If you haven't signed a contract then they don't have one to present to a court, right? And if the oral contract you signed (haha!) means anything then it is they who are in breach if everything you said is true.

If it were me I would start applying for jobs now and leave as soon as the next payday rolls around.

Good luck.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/28 18:30
I'm frequently asked to buy things for my boss (expensive things) and have completely depleted my savings to the point where I've had to ask family members for financial help. But when I said I couldn't afford it, I was told I'd be reimbursed during the next pay period, so I shouldn't complain.

Especially this part is totally fraud, and it sounds like she's trying to put you under mind-control.

There are indeed some things in your post that's unfortunately the norm in some industries, but making new employees use money for the boss is clearly illegal, abnormal and a sin.

You can ask for free legal advise in foreign languages at your local city hall. Wake up.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/1/29 06:45
Talk to a lawyer ASAP!!
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/2 23:52
I tried to quit yesterday - the boss brought me into her office for "negotiations", but it was more like her lecturing me on my "lack of appropriate work ethic", my inability to understand Japanese culture, and my immaturity at quitting so quickly. She said that if not having any time off really bothers me, I can just do mornings and evenings only to have the afternoon free. I said I'd think about it, but that I'd still like to quit, since that still doesn't qualify as a day off in my mind.

Today I got a message from my manager saying I'd have to go see the company lawyer to work out my new employment details.

I never agreed to the offer.

Is it possible for me to make tomorrow my last day? I'm getting extremely worried by this "won't-let-me-quit" attitude.
by AliceinHell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/2 23:58
All the above answers still apply.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 00:11
So I should seek legal help for sure? I don't want to resort to that unless it's absolutely necessary...I'd prefer to just fade away and find something else. I don't have the money to handle a legal battle with a well known company...and they haven't paid me for any of the work I've done yet - but that's Japan's crazy monthly paycheck system.

Do I have to go to work in the meantime too? I'm concerned about having my words twisted or misunderstanding what's being asked. My boss is too good at selling her trade for me to be comfortable dealing with her. I went in yesterday firmly wanting to quit and left saying "I'd think about it"...X/
by AliceinHell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 09:22
If the place is as terrible as you make it seem, then you should quit immediately!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 10:14
I tried to quit yesterday - the boss brought me into her office for "negotiations", but it was more like her lecturing me on my "lack of appropriate work ethic", my inability to understand Japanese culture, and my immaturity at quitting so quickly. She said that if not having any time off really bothers me, I can just do mornings and evenings only to have the afternoon free. I said I'd think about it, but that I'd still like to quit, since that still doesn't qualify as a day off in my mind.

All the more reason to quit immediately. I expect that they will try to stiff you on your paycheck, and it may not be worth it to you to fight it especially since you don't have a written contract.

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 10:49
AliceinHell,

You say you want to quit, but you seem like you can't. That's why I suggested that you should go to the city hall and ask for free help. You don't have to file a "law suit" if you don't want to. You can just ask for help first.

So, what I'm saying is, quit. And if you have trouble quitting, ask for FREE advise to a real-life person instead of the internet.

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 15:47
Hi Alice, sorry to hear about your situation.

This is just my personal opinion, so read it and decide if it applies to you.

If this was me, i would not want to work in an environment like this. From your description, it really seems like they are trying to take advantage of you.

It it was me, i would try my best to leave this place. But do so in a 'nice' way. So as not to burn any bridges. You never know who your boss's golf buddies are, right?

Good luck
by Vin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 16:19
I wanted to leave nicely, but it doesn't seem like it's possible? Every time I bring it up, I get a speech about how I shouldn't quit after less than a month, how it's troublesome for them if I leave at all. Even if I "leave", they still want me to take the boss to work and home every day + be her English teacher - which still means I'm employed. I got asked earlier to do another full month and I can't handle it - physically or psychologically. And I also need to find another job/go to interviews before my visa expires. X/

I guess I just feel like I'm out of options.

by AliceInHell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 18:08
Why aren't you responding to my posts? I'm concerned.

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 18:28
Why aren't you responding to my posts? I'm concerned.

Am I missing something here, or can you not see her posts? She's replying pretty regularly.

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 18:29
I am afraid that OP is mind-controlled, because of too much worrying her working status renewal.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 18:32
I wanted to leave nicely, but it doesn't seem like it's possible?

Don't worry about that.

Every time I bring it up, I get a speech about how I shouldn't quit after less than a month, how it's troublesome for them if I leave at all. Even if I "leave", they still want me to take the boss to work and home every day + be her English teacher - which still means I'm employed.

Screw them, they are just trying to manipulate you to work more for free.

I got asked earlier to do another full month and I can't handle it - physically or psychologically.

Then it sounds like there's no better time to leave than right now.

And I also need to find another job/go to interviews before my visa expires. X/

If you have a work visa then it is presumably valid for another 11 months or so? If you do quit you'll have at least 3 months to find another job before immigration will even think about taking a look at you. Plenty of time to find a job, and easier since you already have residency status. Plus once you quit you'll have lots of time to deliberately plan for your future. Good luck! A brighter future is ahead.

Re: Workplace Abuse Advice 2016/2/3 18:36
I am afraid that OP is mind-controlled, because of too much worrying her working status renewal.

Good point. She may not realize that quitting her job does not put her residency status into jeopardy (presuming it doesn't expire in the near future already). The company is not in control of that, only immigration is and they give a grace period of several months before you are expected to have found a new job. So relax on that point.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 37

1 2
next

reply to this thread