Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 08:56
hello guys, I am sure you have heard this over and over. However i'd like to know best onsens in Hakone that don't mind about tourists with tattoos, even though they might display the sign of NO TATTOO.

I thank you all in advance.
Anthony
by Anthony (guest)  

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 09:16
You could always try your luck... But to save yourself the possible embarrassment of being asked to leave I'd recommend reserving a private bathing experience. Its more expensive than the public baths. But you don't run the risk of someone complaining.

I went to a place called Hakone Yuryo. They offer private baths and there is also a free shuttle bus between the resort and Hakone-Yumoto Station.
http://www.hakoneyuryo.jp/english/
http://www.hakoneyuryo.jp/english/hotsprings/

When I did my reservation I just used their email address and gave them the information of date (of visit), the time I wanted, how many adults and which type of private bath I wanted.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 09:32
But would that feel like a complete experience? I mean being alone... Is there any other option? Or literally every onsen forbid tattoos?

Thanks
by Anthony (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 09:45
Are you travelling solo then?

It depends on what you regard as the complete experience tbh.. Do you want to try and have conversations with the Japanese? (bearing in mind that they might be too shy to talk to a foreigner with tattoos at a onsen)

You could try and go into a public bath but you'll just have to accept being asked to leave if the staff do ask you to. The majority of onsens (especially at resorts) have no tolerance towards tattoos.

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 09:47
Yes I am traveling solo... This is why It is a bit of a problem. It would be nice to know the experiences of others in hakone, where they found themselves in a similar situation to mine...

Thanks
Anthony

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 09:54
Well the first time I used a private bath at Hakone Yuryo I was also travelling solo and it was still a enjoyable and relaxing experience.

So I do recommend getting a private bath just so that you can experience the relaxing hot waters. But if you feel that the risk of being asked to leave (which sometimes doesn't happen) is worth it then use a public bath. Just understand though that you could be asked to leave.

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 09:57
Alright, thanks for the suggestion!
Do you have a list of best onsens in hakone? That you have either experienced or heard to be good.

Many thanks

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 10:05
Japan Guide has a page that lists a number of hot springs around Hakone.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5209.html

Sadly the only one that I've been to is Hakone Yuryo and I am unsure as to whether or not the other places offer private baths. Though I can say that they would all have the same policy regarding tattoos.

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 15:28
http://www.hoshinoresorts.com/en/resortsandhotels/kai/hakone.html

This hotel chain launched an experimental policy as from Oct., 2015, which allows people to take bath with one tattoo if it is covered by a 8cm x 10cm seal. The seal is provided by the hotel.

Enjoy !
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/28 16:05
Thank you for the replies... However I got a full chest tattoo and a half arm length one... Which makes it impossible to cover...

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/31 07:03
hey guys, I bought Lonely Planet Japan and I found that in Hakone the Tenzan Toji-Kyo allows people with tattoo in.
Has anyone had any experience in this onsen? I mean i don't think they would publish misinformations on Lonely planet, but is good to double check.

Thanks
Anthony

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/31 07:40
Could you contact the onsen directly? Bet to get information straight from the source!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/1/31 07:48
I've looked at their website and it is in Japanese.
I could not seem to find it In English...

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/2/2 07:34
There isn't anything on their website to say that tattoos are prohibited (this would usually be declared). The only thing that is stated as being prohibited is taking photos.

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/2/2 07:58
Use a webpage translator. Google Chrome does it automatically.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/2/2 13:25
Hi,

Actually I talked with "Tenzan Toji-Kyo" after my first reply since it was listed on "Tattoo Spots" http://tattoo-spot.jp/. Tenzan confirmed they accept people with tattoo unless they are not a group. (A bunch of tattooed people may frighten other guests).

I did not suggest this to you because I was not sure if this is one of "best onsens in Hakone" that you wanted.  I doubt it provides regular accommodations. Some review said it was too crowded, but in turn it may mean it is popular. There seems a courtesy bus service by tourist association from Hakone Yumoto Station (Supposedly Yen100 with 10 minute ride).
Good Luck !
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/2/2 15:26
Hey yeah, I'm traveling solo And I have already a place to lodge. I wanted to experience a good Onsen, and apparently is also cathegorized as "worth a Visit" by japan guide.
Thank you for all your replies!!!

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/5/5 19:19
Hi everyone, thought I would contribute if others come to this thread looking for onsen allowing guests with tattoos. Today we visited an onsen in Hakone called 'yoshihama' which allowed my party of 4 (all with sleeves and many other tattoos' in. Website with address is : https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/MobileQueryBBox-g298171-d1135355-Yoshih...
Was very reasonably priced and a positive experience! Shampoo and soap provided.
by Stephanie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Onsens with tattoo 2016/5/26 20:18
I am a tattoo artist in Tokyo and often visit one of onsen in Hakone. I recommend Hakone Tenzan. They have several onsen and accept tattooed people, like me coverd most of the body with tattoos.

http://www.takeanonsen.com/list/one-day-trip/hakoneyumoto-tenzan
by HorienSWALLOW ART (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread