Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 02:07
I need a ticket Hakata – Kyoto on Shinkanzen Nozomi 12 (not a Japan Rail Pass)
I would like to buy it before my arrival in Japan as I fear that the train may be fully booked
Where can I buy tickets online before arrival?
Thx
by jan2911  

Re: Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 10:17
You can't. You will have to purchase the ticket when you arrive in Japan.

The only company that allows you to buy shinkansen tickets online outside of Japan is JR East; they do not operate the Nozomi between Hakata and Kyoto.

Remember, you can use the unreserved cars; these are rarely fully crowded (and the ticket is cheaper than a reserved seat). Just get to the station early to line up, so you can be one of the first people on the train with the first pick of seats. Make sure you don't line up before your train is due, though, and prevent other people from accessing earlier trains.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 14:56
JR East is the only company which allows you to buy Shinkansen tickets online in English, and only for the trains they operate. Other trains can be booked online in Japanese from many outlets, including on JR East's eki-net platform.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 15:01
Yes, thanks for the clarification; I should have been clearer.

Even if OP used a translator, though, they could not purchase tickets because I believe the other sites also require a Japanese credit card and/or address/phone number.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 15:13
Hm, yes, looking on my eki-net profile it seems an address is required and there is no ŠCŠO option like on Rakuten. I did use it before moving to Japan, though, but I can't remember what I did, probably entered some bogus information. A Japanese credit card is definitely not required, however, I still don't have one.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 17:42
Thank you very much, sq and Firas! Best regards
Jan
by jan2911 rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Shinkansen tickets on the Internet? 2016/2/2 17:49
Is there a reason you want that particular train? There are a number of other Nozomi trains that operate that route in a day. I would surprised if none of them have any available reserved seats.

If you are only taking that shinkansen a few days after you arrive in Japan, you could try and research the ticket at the closest JR station the moment you land.
by Taiakun rate this post as useful

reply to this thread