Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to deal with coughers w/ot covering mouth 2016/2/2 20:59
I just got back home from My 2 week vacation and was astonished how many "sick" people were coughing like "barking dogs" literally without covering their mouths. I was scared to catch their unusual sounding cough. How did Japan even let these people in ? Most are from Korea/Taiwan area staying in toyoko inn. Breakfast buffet just did not seem appetizing anymore. It may be Residual mers.

Can we tell the cover their mouths?

Some hotel staffers also had this weird sounding cough.
by Canadian (guest)  

Re: How to deal with coughers w/ot covering mouth 2016/2/3 09:22
Usually if you smack them in the head, they might get the idea...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to deal with coughers w/ot covering mouth 2016/2/3 10:10
Is this a serious question, or are you just looking for a place to vent?

You can't keep rude people from being rude. Protect yourself and wear a mask. They're available at any convenience store, train kiosk, drug store, supermarket, etc.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to deal with coughers w/ot covering mouth 2016/2/3 17:31
Totally a serious question bec it sucks to catch airborne diseases. I think it is a residual of mers. My flight to Canada had people coughing.

For me, my cold will be gone on no time but for seniors it would be taking longer to recover.

I think there should be a better watch at the airport for higher than normal body temperatures esp for kids. It was mostly the kids who cough any which direction mostly towards me. Sucks. Hope there is not outbreak but it looks like a serious cough. Wheezing type.
by Canadian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to deal with coughers w/ot covering mouth 2016/2/3 18:23
Japanese airports have health monitoring stations that are put on alert when outbreaks occur, like during the swine flu scare a few years ago. In these cases they monitor everyone very carefully and pull aside those with elevated temperatures.

Also keep in mind that Korea has put those exposed to mers under home quarantine. They also barred those who are quarantined from leaving the country and canceled flights to Japan, so the chances of infected travelers showing up here are low and I didn't find any news of outbreaks to date.

The best thing to do is to take normal cold and flu precautions, which basically means that you should exercise good hygiene and hand washing. Masks may not actually help prevent exposure to sickness, but they can still help you avoid getting sick by keeping your airways moist and giving you peace of mind. Stress after all is probably the biggest factor, and worrying needlessly will not help your health.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to deal with coughers w/ot covering mouth 2016/2/6 19:27
I suspect trolling, but anyway...

There is no such thing as 'residual MERS'. The Korean outbreak is over.

It's not just non-Japanese who cough openly in Japan. Plenty of Japanese people have been coughing without masks and without covering their mouths on the trains I've been using here.

Wear a mask if it worries you that much.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread