Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/7 13:48

I am purchasing this pass for my coming holiday in Japan. I read the information on JR East website, but unsure if I could use the pass between Nikko and Kinugawa-Onsen.
My plan is to travel to Kinugawa-onsen upon my arrival at Narita Airport.

I understand that I could use the pass for LTD. EXP SPACIA KINUGAWA 3 from Shinjuku station. But, looks like I will miss this train by the time I arrive at Shinjuku.

My next option is to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo and change to a local train in Utsunomiya for Nikko. Could I use the same pass for Nikko to Kinugawa-onsen?

Also, can the pass be used to travel between Kinugawa-onsen and Aizu-Wakamatsu along the AIZU RAILWAY?

Any advice is much appreciated, and many thanks.
by liem (guest)  

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/7 16:05
Sorry, this was posted by mistake earlier on Tobu Nikko post.

All your answers are here: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/index.html

by Firas

Thank you Firas for your speedy reply.
Tokyo wide pass is very similar to the new JR East Tohoku Area pass.
The route maps show that Kinugawa-onsen station is included in the validity of this pass.

When using the JR TOKYO Wide Pass for express train service on a Tobu line, either the departure or arrival station must be on a JR line.

After reading the above condition, I have come to a conclusion that the pass is not valid for Kinugawa-onsen station departing from Tobu Nikko station; as neither the departure nor the arrival station is on JR line. Am I correct?

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/index.html

JR East Tohoku Area pass is the one I will be purchasing, as I will be travelling further north as far as Hirosaki.
I will be visiting Aizu Wakamatsu after Nikko.
Looking at the route maps, I notice the grey dotted line from Kinugawa-onsen to Aizu- Wakamatsu station. Does it mean that
this railway line in included in the validity of this pass?

Again many thanks for your advice.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/7 18:02
The same idea applies, everything is on the page of the pass: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_t/index.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 10:44

Thank you again Firas.

I have checked the website several times, and I still could not locate the answer.
The route from Kinugawa-onsen to Aizu-Wakamatsu is in the route map of JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area). It says within the Free Area.
I would like to think that the information is as clear as day. Unfortunately no such detailed explanation under the " Valid Train Routes" section.
What I am trying to say is the " route map" does not correspond to the detailed explanation in the " Valid Train Routes". Hence the question, and hoping someone could clarify.

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 10:55
The route from Kinugawa-onsen to Aizu-Wakamatsu is in the route map of JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area). It says within the Free Area.

I do not see that on the page, in fact the page has no "route map".

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 10:57
I understand that I could use the pass for LTD. EXP SPACIA KINUGAWA 3 from Shinjuku station. But, looks like I will miss this train by the time I arrive at Shinjuku.

If you can get to Omiya by 11:00 then you could also catch the limited express Kinugawa 3 from there.

My next option is to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo and change to a local train in Utsunomiya for Nikko. Could I use the same pass for Nikko to Kinugawa-onsen?

No, it is only valid on the limited expresses for the nikko-kinugawa section.

Also, can the pass be used to travel between Kinugawa-onsen and Aizu-Wakamatsu along the AIZU RAILWAY?

No

The route from Kinugawa-onsen to Aizu-Wakamatsu is in the route map of JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area).

That is just a general route map listing train routes in the area. It is not specific to the JR East Pass free area.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 10:58
Alternatively you could catch the limited express kinugawa 5 at 13:01/13:32.

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/traintime.html?dep_node=SHINJUKU(JR)&ar...

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 11:02
Oh yes, there is a link to the route map section of the JR East website, where some other non-JR lines are also mentioned, but that's not the valid area of the JR East Pass. The page about the pass has a list of valid lines, and the Aizu railway is not in it, so it is not covered.

Local and rapid Tobu trains in the Nikko area are covered, so it is possible to go between Tobu-Nikko and Kinugawa-onsen, just be sure to not board an express train by mistake (those are not covered).

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 11:06
Local and rapid Tobu trains in the Nikko area are covered, so it is possible to go between Tobu-Nikko and Kinugawa-onsen, just be sure to not board an express train by mistake (those are not covered).

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post. Firas is correct, the pass can be used on Tobu local and rapid trains between Nikko and Kinugawa.

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 11:20

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post. Firas is correct, the pass can be used on Tobu local and rapid trains between Nikko and Kinugawa.

Thank you yllwsmrf, and again Firas.

**The JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) may be used for Tobu Railway Lines as long as either the departing or destination station is on a JR line.
This additional information says no, as neither the departure nor the arrival station is on JR line.

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 11:23
I think this only applies between Kurihashi and Shimoimachi.

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 11:31
Agreed, otherwise it would completely invalidate the section about travel between Nikko-Kinugawa, and make it unnecessary to state in the first place.

Re: Valid Train Routes for JR East Tohoku Area 2016/2/8 12:49

Thank you again yllwsmrf and Firas.

The JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) may be used for Tobu Railway Lines as long as either the departing or destination station is on a JR line.
Apparently the above info only applies to the limited express trains.

reply to this thread