Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/8 11:39
Hi,

Would like to get some advice regarding my upcoming trip in May. Taking into account that it's our first visit to Japan and I'm traveling with a large family with varied interests, I'm hoping to plan an itinerary that has some sightseeing and shopping.

The current plan is as such. Would appreciate any comments & suggestions! :)

8-May: Tokyo

9-May: Tokyo (day trip to Mt Fuji)

10 - 12 May: Kyoto

13 - 14 May: Osaka

15 - 20 May: Tokyo (single day trip to Hakone & Gotemba Premium Outlet)

We would be getting a 7-Day JR pass, and my questions are:

1. Should the JR pass be activated on the day to Mt Fuji?

2. Is the JR pass the better choice to head to Mt Fuji, or should I get the Fuji-Hakone pass instead, and combine both visits.

3. We are interested in Lake Yamanaka and Lake Kawaguchi, but based on our travel plans, do I have to choose one or can I do both?

4. Can I fit Takayama into my itinerary, or will I be stretching it thin?

Any other advice and suggestions will be helpful! Thank you in advance.
by Cheryl (guest)  

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/8 14:32
1 & 2. The JR Pass won't get you all the way to Mt. Fuji. I think a Fuji-specific pass would be best, but that depends on which "Fuji area" you visit. Which area were you thinking about? If it's only a one-day trip, you will only have time for one area.

3. You might have time for both, depending on how early you start. The buses are not very frequent though, so you would have to keep an eye on the time. Look here for more information about getting around the Fuji Five Lakes area: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

4. I don't think you can fit Takayama in. I'd actually consider adding one more day to Kyoto and spending one less day in Tokyo at the end (if you activate your JR pass the day you leave Tokyo, it will still be valid). For a first trip, you don't want to feel rushed or that you missed out on anything because you had to head to the next destination.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/8 15:58
Hi Sq,

Thank you for your quick response!

1 & 2. We are thinking of doing a one day trip & back to Tokyo. However, if it is possible to head straight to Kyoto from Kawaguchiko, we can stay a night there.

4. So you would recommend 4 nights in Kyoto instead? Because we are thinking of heading to Disneysea & Gotemba Premium Outlet, I thought it would be better to have more days in Tokyo. As when I arrive on 8-May, it would already be mid-afternoon, leaving little time to explore.

by Cheryl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/9 01:24
Just wondering what the age groups are and what each persons specific interests are? Just so that I can give you good recommendations.

3 days in Kyoto might be enough depending on just how temple/shrine mad you and your group are?

Also keep in mind for Hakone that Owakudani is currently a no entry zone so the Hakone Ropeway isn't currently operating its full length.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/9 02:13
Hi Kari,

The youngest being 21 and the oldest being 60.

I think it will be better if I can give them a wider mix of activities, where temples are followed by some city sights.

Thanks once again!

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/9 06:01

You could take the JR Chou Line from Shinjuku to Otsuki. That would be covered by the JR Pass. However you'd then have transfer onto the Fujikyu Railway Line to Kawaguchiko Station, this isn't covered by the JR Pass.
Tbh I'd recommend taking a highway bus to Fuji Five Lakes instead, that is what I would do.
You can find more information here though http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

2. Is the JR pass the better choice to head to Mt Fuji, or should I get the Fuji-Hakone pass instead, and combine both visits.

If you are dead set on visiting both Hakone and the Fuji Five Lakes then I'd recommend doing both during your second stint in Tokyo between 15th - 20th May. Because the Fuji Hakone Pass will give you 3 days of consecutive travels between this areas and Shinjuku.

3. We are interested in Lake Yamanaka and Lake Kawaguchi, but based on our travel plans, do I have to choose one or can I do both? You might be able to at a push, but you'd most likely end up rushing your way through that day, leaving yourselves unable to enjoy what is on offer. I'd recommend doing one or the other. And just wondering if you have heard of Lake Saiko?

4. Can I fit Takayama into my itinerary, or will I be stretching it thin?

You would be stretching it very thin if you tried to include this. From Kyoto to Takayama the entire trip would take around 3 hours (one way). That's 6 hours in total that you will be spending just sitting on a train.
Honestly, I'd recommend just enjoying the days that you have in Kyoto.

Thanks, for giving me information though on your varied ages.
In Osaka there is a large number of places that I'd recommend. Dotonbori, which is a amazing area for Osaka street food such as Takoyaki & Okonomiyaki and the atmosphere is great. The best time to go (imo) is during the evening.
There's also places like Osaka Aquarium and if you are into it, the Harry Potter World at Universal Osaka.
Whilst as a day trip from Osaka I'd recommend visiting Himeji Castle in Himeji and then Kobe on the way back. In Kobe you have the Shin-Kobe ropeway that offers wonderful views of Kobe and Kobe Harborland offers a varied mix of shopping and restaurants.

I'm guessing you have already looked at places to visit in Kyoto? Or would you like some ideas?

For shopping, especially in Tokyo there are a large number of different and interesting places. Harajuku, Shibuya, Nakano Broadway, Akihabara and Odaiba are all fantastic places to visit.
I would also recommend visiting Yokohama.

by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/9 08:47
You can do Tokyo -Hakone -(via Odawara) to Kyoto, so you can stop over one night in Hakone particularly if you are interested in hot springs.

Doing Hakone and Gotemba Outlet in one day is too rushed. And if you want to do a day trip from Tokyo, you will have to choose between Kawaguchiko or Yamanakako. probably Kawaguchiko is easier. Disney would likely be a full day. You will need to choose where you visit, otherwise it will be all stretched thin and no one would be satisfied.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning the first trip to Japan 2016/2/21 10:48
Hi Kari,

Appreciate your detailed advice! After doing further research ,we might decide to get a driver between Tokyo and Kyoto and vice versa.

In this case, we are thinking of buying the Japan Kansai Area wide pass. Would you recommend that or should we just buy individual tickets as and when we travel? More specifically, for travels between:
1. Kyoto and Osaka
2. Within Kyoto (Is Nara included?)
3. Within Osaka

Yes, we will take the highway bus instead as recommended.

We might skip Hakone and focus on Fuji Five Lakes instead. So that it will not be as rushed.

3. We are interested in Lake Yamanaka and Lake Kawaguchi, but based on our travel plans, do I have to choose one or can I do both?
I did my research and saw that Lake Saiko offers a beautiful view of Mt Fuji. However, is there anything to do around the area? And is it on the way to either of the above 2 lakes? How do you suggest I fit Lake Saiko into the itinerary?

Thank you for your suggestions for Osaka.

For Kyoto, I understand that I should divide my itinerary according to the different areas in Kyoto (ie: East Kyoto, West Kyoto etc). However, will it be too ambitious to attempt to complete one section a day? Seeing as to how the older folks might get tired if we rush.

What is a pace you would suggest for this varied age group?

reply to this thread