Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

90 day visa to work visa 2016/2/9 10:04
Hi,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
I leave for Japan from the UK this Saturday 13th February.
My work visa was posted today from the company in Japan(Tuesday 9th in Japan) and hopefully it arrives before I leave but I don't think any post service is that fast!

If, as I expect, the work visa arrives in the UK after I leave, is it possible to get the work visa posted to me in Japan? I then go to the immigration office and change my status with the work visa. Is this actually possible? I have heard of people getting work while on their 90 day visa but I have taken a different route altogether!

I can't change my flight without incurring a heavy cost. The romantic idea of arriving on valentines day has backfired a little bit!

Thank you anyone who takes the time to read.
by icris0044  

Re: 90 day visa to work visa 2016/2/9 11:09
I leave for Japan from the UK this Saturday 13th February. My work visa was posted today from the company in Japan(Tuesday 9th in Japan) and hopefully it arrives before I leave but I don't think any post service is that fast!

Keep in mind, the company is sending you a COE (not a visa) which still needs to be taken to the embassy to exchange for a visa (with typically 1-2 days processing time).

If, as I expect, the work visa arrives in the UK after I leave, is it possible to get the work visa posted to me in Japan? I then go to the immigration office and change my status with the work visa. Is this actually possible? I have heard of people getting work while on their 90 day visa but I have taken a different route altogether!

From what I understand, you could enter on a temporary visa, have the COE posted to you in Japan, and then take that to immigration to apply for a change of status of residence. It would be safer to just change you flight though...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 90 day visa to work visa 2016/2/9 11:11
My work visa was posted today from the company in Japan

No, it wasn't. What was posted was probably your certificate of eligibility. If you want to go to Japan visa-free and apply for a change of status, it's a different procedure altogether. The change of status may or may not be granted, in particular you should ask your employer whether they are willing to redo the paperwork.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: 90 day visa to work visa 2016/2/9 23:50
Thank you all for the advice.

Sorry, I am new to the visa process, should have researched further.
My best option then is to bite the bullet and change my flight.

Other options more risky....

1. Apply for change in status
2. Do some sort of crazy visa run to the Japanese embassy in Seoul.

Thanks again.
by icris0044 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread