Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/10 03:02
Hey all,

I'm a solo traveller keen to head to Shirakawago for a farmstay this April. I'm currently using this website: http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-search-results/?area=Shiraka... to search for such accomodation.

2 questions:

1) All gassho-zukuri say that they do not accept single guests (under the facilities option), but what exactly do they mean by that? Wouldn't it be fine if I were to pay the full price?

2) Any other recommendations besides the above website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)
by Michelle (guest)  

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/10 11:16
Best to ask the website. The staff there can help you. Based on my experience they reply within a week.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/10 14:50
I stayed in a gassho hut as a single person during summer a couple of years ago. As I did not speak Japanese at the time (it's a little bit better now) I had the tourist office of the day book one for me. If there was no availability - then I would have gone back to Takayama for the night.

It's not the perfect situation but it's an option. Also note that there is only around 2-3 hours of 'stuff' to see at Shirakawago in the main town that people normally visit. From memory, it was around 8,500 yen for 1 person including breakfast and dinner but it may have gone up since then....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/10 15:45
I was a solo traveller when I went. I emailed shirakawago tourist association. They helped me reserved a night at one of the grass hut. I would try emailing them and see if they can help you out
by Amagad rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/10 17:03
if you cant find anything in shirakawago, you might also try a little north (e.g. Suganuma). this is much less touristic and has same old feeling and houses. of course no "night life" as in takayama... :-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/10 17:07
about traveling alown:
i also do this from time to time, and yes, in some occasions you pay per room. this means when you travel single, you must pay for the double room the double room price.

most times i even had to pay for food for the second (not existing) person, cause in ryokans the food is usually included with the room price for a night.

some of them where nice and gave me then a discount (cause they only had to prepare food for one person), but it can not be expected everywhere.

so generally this is more a monetary problem, than a problem that they would not accept single travelers. they just dont want to make less profit when accepting you alown as if they would have rent the room to a couple.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/12 20:13
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds good, I'll email the tourist association to check.

I've also been looking around this forum and it seems like staying 5 - 6 days in Takayama/Shirakawago and its vicinity is too long. Are there any recommendations on where to go? :) Somewhere close by, or anywhere between that area and Tokyo.

I'm intending to fly to Takayama around 17 April, and I will be in Tokyo for a concert on 23 April. Thereafter, I'd be staying in Tokyo for another week.
by Michelle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/12 20:16
To add on - this is actually my 11th time in Japan (heh) but I've only been to the more touristy areas like Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, the more obscure of which is Nagano and Nanao.

So if you could go to just one other place in Japan, where would you go? I can't decide with all the amazing localities!
by Michelle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/2/12 20:41
You may refer to the website below:
http://tourguides.nagoya/en/index.html
by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/3/25 17:25
I'm a solo traveler and intent to stay at farmhouse in Shirakawago.
However, as posted they seems like not accepting solo traveler for stay.
May I know what is the tourist association email?
by Merelynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/3/25 18:52
tourist association contact form:

http://www.shirakawa-go.gr.jp/othercontents/iq.html

as a single traveler, you have a much better chance of securing a room if you go on a weekday in the off season.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo traveller - Shirakawago farmstay 2016/3/25 19:49
Hi,

thanks for the info.

I'm planning to go on weekend is due to the light up. Really hoping that can spend a night there.
If unable to stay a night there, what is the last nohi bus to kanazawa or takayama. Btw, I'm travelling from Kyoto to Shirakawago.
by Merelynn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread