Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 01:54
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading about the different wi-fi devices offered. And, it seems, across the board, everyone suggests that you rent one before arriving to Japan.

Quick question - we're staying in Japan for 44 days. The first 14 days, we'll be at places that have portable wi-fi devices. So, we'll only actually need a device for 30 days.

Is it still better to rent a wi-fi device for 44 days and just have two during that timeframe? Or, is it better to try to rent one starting the day we need it? We're staying at an Airbnb, not a hotel.

Thank you!
by Sclark  

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 08:42
it seems, across the board, everyone suggests that you rent one before arriving to Japan.

Because it is cheaper that way and you can reserve early enough to ensure availability.

Is it still better to rent a wi-fi device for 44 days and just have two during that timeframe? Or, is it better to try to rent one starting the day we need it?

You can rent in advance to have it delivered/picked up when you need it, so I'd recommend going that route. However, if you feel that you need one on day one to navigate to your AirBnB, then you might just want to rent for the entire time period. They are not super expensive, but that would add another 5000-7500 yen to your bill.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 08:45
Most wifi rental companies have a 30-day rental limit, which actually works out really well for you! I'd use the ones you're provided with first, and order another online to pick up/have delivered when you need it. If you're still staying in Air BnBs, it can be difficult to arrange delivery (the rental provider may not allow package deliveries), so I would suggest arranging to pick it up at a post office if possible (or have it sent there).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 08:52
One thing to consider is that most rental companies do not recommend shipping to and AirBnB address considering package delivery can be a crapshoot depending on how legitimate the AirBnB is (most are not). Instead you can deliver to a nearby post office for pickup. It complicates things a bit, but on the other hand you can pick up at your convenience rather than having to wait around for a delivery.

Most wifi rental companies have a 30-day rental limit, which actually works out really well for you!

Not sure where you're getting this from, as none of the popular wifi rental websites recommended on these forums have a 30 day limit. On the other contrary, they usually offer a discount if you rent longer than 30 days.

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 11:05
When I was looking to rent one for 32 days, most companies wouldn't let me. That was a year and a half ago though; maybe things have changed.

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 11:13
Where were you looking to rent from?

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 11:37
A few different companies, I don't remember their names. But they were the "major" ones that come up when you Google for "Japan pocket wifi". Does it really matter as long as the OP can rent for 44 days?

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 11:46
Thanks everyone!!

Which companies allow me to pick up there? Or, would I have it sent to roughly just a PO box in Japan? I'm just unclear on where I'd pick it up. But, 30 days would be perfect.

I'm flexible on the company - as long as I have good service, I'm happy. Less expensive is better as well - not needing 3gb up/down. :)
by Sclark rate this post as useful

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 12:08
No, I suppose its not important to the OP. Sorry, don't mean to come off antagonistic. Just wondering for my own info as I like to keep track of these things.

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/11 12:19
I used to rent for six weeks at a time, and even with wifi at various hot-spots and hotels always used the portable devices when out and about. At Y300/day it wasn't exactly a major expense.

Why not just pick it up on the way into the country and that way you'll have it set up and with you for your full trip?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/12 09:12
Which company is best for 300 yen per day? I'm only seeing more expensive options.

Thank you!!
by Sclark rate this post as useful

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/12 09:15
At the cheap end there is very little distinction between companies, as they are all operating on the same backbone service. Shopping on price would be fine.

Did you know? 2016/2/12 09:42
Hi, I do not know where you are coming from but if you are from the US, Japanese mobile carriers and US phone companies have plans!
for as cheap as $5 a month and it works perfectly! I hope that helps
by Hiromi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rent Wi-Fi after we're in Tokyo? 2016/2/12 20:24
I rented a pocket wifi before. It is useful as it allows at least 5 devices to log on to it. However, I find the device cumbersome and need constant battery supply. The battery pack supplied tends to discharge fast so do bring extra power bank.
Recently, I bought a SIM card through bmobile. It gave 3G for fourteen days at a cost of about 2400Y and can be recharged for another fourteen days. It allows tethering so other users can log on.
You can arrange pick up at the post office at the airport. The downside is you have to remove your existing sim card so your existing line cannot be used.
by hosg15 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread