Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temple stay at Koyasan 2016/2/12 11:14
Hello,

I'm planning to do a temple stay at Koyasan in early March and am booking through the main website. Are the various shukubo more or less all nice? I don't have a particular one in mind since there are so many and was thinking of not specifying during the reservation if they are equally accommodating.

If it is better that I specify, does anyone have any recommendations for shukubo stays on the cheaper end?

Also, are there nice onsen in the mt koya area? I will be a first time visitor planning to see Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Mt. Koya during my short week visit(I wish it were much longer...I'll have to come back again).

Thanks for any advice!

-Cris
by Cris (guest)  

Re: Temple stay at Koyasan 2016/2/12 12:14
I stayed at Eko-in, and booked direct through them. They have English-speaking staff and a good bath area (I don't think there are specific onsen, but most temples will have a public bath area). The rooms and grounds were beautiful (had a little garden outside our room), and we had the option to attend the fire ceremony in the morning (which was incredible).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple stay at Koyasan 2016/2/12 12:28
I chose my shukubo due to the proximity to the center of the town. the centre is a junction between three roads.

North leads to the bus/cable car stop.
Immediately West is the main temple of Koya San.
Immediately East is the tourist information with free wifi.
Immediately south are a line of small shops that have possibly the only restaurants in Koya San.

A bit west and south to the main temple are some other attractions and a large school. All are within walking distance. If you hate walking, then i suggest you do the same and book one near the centre. Though Koya San is pretty small so walking about isn't too harsh.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple stay at Koyasan 2016/2/12 12:35
I stayed at Eko-in. The temple is located in a nice convenient area. Temple also holds morning prayers and fire ceremony which was quite an experience. I also joined the night cemetery tour hosted by an english speaking monk at the temple.

Though as you said there are a lot of options but from experience I'd stay at Eko-in again.
by Amagad rate this post as useful

reply to this thread