Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/13 21:33
Quick question for those with experience visiting Nikko - let me explain the background briefly.

I'm running the Tokyo marathon this year, and have a couple extra days' holiday to recover before flying back home the following Wednesday. My original plan - hotels etc. booked but can be changed - was to head up to Nikko to spend the Mon/Tue there, before returning to Tokyo Tuesday evening and taking advantage of L'aqua or another similar spa complex.

Based on previous marathon experience, however, any kind of strenuous walking will be extremely painful those days - and hills or steps are pretty much a no-go. Does this rule out making the most of Nikko, and if so, where else would anyone recommend for a 1-2 day excursion from Tokyo?

I am based in China so can visit Japan relatively frequently; I missed Nikko on my last trip, but could do at a future time if being able to walk extensively (or basically like a normal healthy person) would make for a better experience. I'd like to get away from Tokyo for a day or two since I visited last year and will be spending a couple days there before the race again this year, too.

Thanks so much for any advice or experiences people can share!
by FeethamsExile  

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/14 10:31
Nikko is in the mountains and full of temples. There are a lot of stairs and hills, and I can only imagine that would be exhausting after a marathon.

I would suggest staying around Tokyo and use all the conveniences like escalators and elevators for those tired legs of yours.

Have you been to Odaiba? Could be worth a visit.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html
by Phil Gr rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/14 17:05
Thanks for the quick response - confirms what I was concerned about. Planning on saving Nikko for next time and looking into something less strenuous in areas of Tokyo I've not explored yet, then!
by FeethamsExile rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/14 19:51
Not Odaiba. Vast concrete walkways and lots of steps.

Avoid Enoshima too. Lots of walking, mostly up and down steps. It did for my knee the other week and is one of the few places where I've seen Japanese tourists looking tired.

The trains will get you to stations but you'll have to navigate the stations and then walk to the tourist sites, many of which are themselves walks.

Unfortunately, Japan, specifically Tokyo, is hard on the feet, unless you take taxis and use every escalator/elevator you can find. Taxis are at least easy to obtain as they are everywhere.

Good luck in the marathon.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/15 02:29
Odaiba is full of conveniences like elevators and escalators for Tokyo it is an easy walk compared to somewhere like Asakusa or Akihabara. Plus if your into cars, Toyota Mega Web is a lot of fun.
by Phil Gr rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/15 08:06
maybe it is a stupid question, but why dont you simply drive to some nice cozy onsen and relax there your weary bones and muscles instead of climbing temple steps?

:-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/15 10:21
All good suggestions. Think I'm going to just extend my hotel stay in Tokyo and play it by ear seeing how I feel - could be anything from all-day spa sessions through to a bit of city exploration. Nothing with steps though!

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/2/19 14:22
Odaiba has elevators and escalators inside the buildings, but I found the concrete path and stairs between the buildings to be a bit of a long stretch.
by Kirjava444 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko - much walking needed? (Post-marathon) 2016/3/3 09:59
Quick update for anyone searching this later, and to say thanks again for the advice:

I ended up staying in Odaiba (based in Ariake) based on advice here & due to it being right by the marathon expo & finish area. This worked out pretty well - there are plenty of escalators/elevators, and walking on flat planes isn't such a problem. The yurikamome is very convenient too, and the Mega Web recommendation was fun. It's pretty easy to get into town via Shimbashi too - met up with a couple of friends there, one of whom coincidentally had just got back from Nikko with plenty of pictures of climbs and inclines. Glad to have postponed that one for next time!

The marathon was amazing, by the way - very scenic & fairly fast course, with huge crowds of support and a great atmosphere. Would definitely recommend the experience.

reply to this thread