Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ltd. exp trains Hokkaido-Aomori in March 2016 2016/2/14 12:42
Hi,

Does the extension of Tohoku Shinkansen to Hokkaido affect current limited express trains from Hokkaido (e.g. Hakodate) to Aomori?

Previously I can search limited express train schedules from Hakodate to Shin-Aomori like below:
http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/network/jikoku/pdf/jikoku8_1.pdf

But now from March, I can NOT find such limited express train schedules in websites like hyperdia or jorudan...

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!
by jerry (guest)  

Re: Ltd. exp trains Hokkaido-Aomori in March 2016 2016/2/14 12:59
Yes, the new shinkansen has an effect on limited express trains. In particular, the Hakucho (and Super Hakucho) will be discontinued (i.e. replaced by the shinkansen).

The Hokuto limited express (Hakodate-Sapporo) will be adjusted to the new shinkansen timetable. And the number of Tsugaru trains will be reduced.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd. exp trains Hokkaido-Aomori in March 2016 2016/2/14 14:17
Oh I see. Well that's very inconvenient.

I tried to research on hokkaido shinkansen... So if I want to take a train between Hakodate and Aomori, I have to take a different train (?) to "Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto" station (currently still Oshima-Ono station), then get on shinkansen train to Shin-Aomori... right?

But hyperdia and jorudan has not yet updated this... Does this mean if I want to ask the schedule, or buy reserve seat/tickets, my only choice is to ask in JR ticket offices?

Also from Hakodate, I was originally planning to stop at Kikonai for the bus to Matsumae... Will the shinkansen stop by Kikonai station?

Thanks!
by jerry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd. exp trains Hokkaido-Aomori in March 2016 2016/2/14 18:15
Oh I see. Well that's very inconvenient.

Indeed, if you travel from Hakodate Station to Aomori Station, you will newly have to transfer twice instead of zero times. For many other users of the Hokkaido Shinkansen, however, the number of transfers will not change, and the shinkansen will increase convenience.

But hyperdia and jorudan has not yet updated this... Does this mean if I want to ask the schedule, or buy reserve seat/tickets, my only choice is to ask in JR ticket offices?

The schedule for the Hokkaido Shinkansen is here:
http://hokkaido-shinkansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/timetable.pd...

Tickets cannot be reserved more than one month in advance. And indeed, you will have to go to a JR ticket office to make seat reservations.

Also from Hakodate, I was originally planning to stop at Kikonai for the bus to Matsumae... Will the shinkansen stop by Kikonai station?

Yes, Kikonai will be a stop along the Hokkaido Shinkansen. However, not all trains will be stopping there. Alternatively you can take the South Hokkaido Railway (not covered by the Japan Rail Pass) to travel between Hakodate and Kikonai. Or the bus all the way from Hakodate to Matsumae (not covered by the Japan Rail Pass).
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread