Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kurama Onsen good? 2016/3/22 15:30
Hi! We will be in Kyoto for 4 days and wanted a reccommendation for Hot Springs in the Kyoto area.
Is Kuarama any good? I came across it on the Japan Guide website.
Thanks
by raz02  

Re: Kurama Onsen good? 2016/3/29 18:13
Have your trip already started? Hope this comment still serves you.

If you've never been to onsen, or an open air hot spring, it's a great idea to visit Kurama Onsen because:

1. It is an easily accessible from downtown Kyoto, you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and soak yourself in a cozy but nature surrounded atmosphere and bath.

2. If you can make it to Kurama station, there is a shuttle coach waiting for you coinciding the train arrival time, but even if you miss it, it is an easy 30min stroll up the hill. This place is popular for Japanese hikers as well.

3. Onsens in general can be quite costly, but here you can enjoy a dip with a very reasonable price, basic outdoor onsen for 1000 yen.
Staff speaks English.

by bombei rate this post as useful

Re: Kurama Onsen good? 2016/3/30 14:26
Thanks Bombei! We will go to Kurama..really appreciate your tip
by raz02 rate this post as useful

Re: Kurama Onsen good? 2016/3/30 18:35
Basic onsen for 1000 yen is crazily priced if you ask me.

it is less than a 30 minute walk. I did it in less than 15 even after struggling through the Kurama mountain temples from Kibune.

The view from the onsen is nothing to talk about.

The water is only slightly better than boiled distilled water.

I would rather take a coach to Arima onsen.

IMO, not worth the long time and expense.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kurama Onsen good? 2016/3/31 04:13
I would recommend it as well. This might vary of course but I liked it because it was not so crowded. You could stay overnight as well and liked the way you could walk in the yukata between the baths.

It was not too hot yes but if you are not used to onsen it could be a good start since I have heard of people fainting being unused to hot baths.

There was a restaurant with EEL dinner and a relax room included in the price if doing the in and outdoor bath, massage chairs, etc.

I did the hike through the mountains from Kibune, so the onsen was a great relief to end the day. Had i known before I would have stayed too. As I was staying in Nara I could easily head back home after transfering once.
by Eagle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kurama Onsen good? 2016/3/31 20:06
Thank you all.

Still confused - please give me reccos for good onsen closest to Kyoto AND Tokyo. We are first-time visitors to Japan. Will make a choice depending on 2 factors:
1) Travel time from Kyoto/ Tokyo
2) Cost

I know this is a tough one, but please help!!
by raz02 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread