Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Sanyo Sanin 7 day rail pass 2016/3/24 05:53
I just bought the new JR Sanyo Sanin Area 7 Day Rail Pass and plan to use it next week on my April 1, 2016 trip to Japan. I will be visiting the area from Wakayama to Maibara.

I need to know if the pass only allows using Shinkansen trains (including NOZUMI and MIZUHO?) in the area between Kyoto and Hakata and you have to use non-Shinkansen trains everywhere else in the Sanyo Sanin area.

Can I use the Shinkansen trains from Maibara to Kyoto? My hotel will be at Maibara for most of the trip and I will be doing day trips to the Kyoto area from Maibara.
by Kansai visitor (guest)  

Re: JR Sanyo Sanin 7 day rail pass 2016/3/24 10:32
The conditions of your pass will tell you this. Check the rail pass section of this website for a full breakdown - very informative!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sanyo Sanin 7 day rail pass 2016/3/24 11:50
Unfortunately the available information on the NEW pass is subject to interpretation and is not clear . Thus, I asked the question.

One reliable source says it can be used on the NOZOMI Shinkansen and on ALL Shinkansen routes in the Sanyo-Sanin area except for the Shin-Osaka to/from Kyoto route. Another source says Shinkansen use is restricted to only between Shin-Osaka and Hakata.

The only Shinkansen that I will be using is the one between Maibara and Kyoto and thus I hope someone can contact JR in Japan to find the answer.
by Kansai Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sanyo Sanin 7 day rail pass 2016/3/24 13:44
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_sanyo_sanin.html

The above page says, quite clearly, that it is the Sanyo shinkansen that is covered. That shinkansen runs from Shin-Osaka to Hakata, and does not cover Kyoto to Maibara. That answers your question completely.

The pass still covers local JR transportation, just not the shinkansen, to Hikone.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sanyo Sanin 7 day rail pass 2016/3/24 14:22
Thanks SQ for the information.

Next time I'll stick to the regular 7 day JR Pass which costs about $80 more, but gives complete freedom on using Shinkansen trains (except NOZOMI and MIZUHO) anywhere in Japan when one is pressed for time.
by Kansai Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sanyo Sanin 7 day rail pass 2016/3/24 19:08
The page of the pass is perfectly clear as well, I can't see how it is possible to interpret it as saying that it covers the Shinkansen between Maibara and Kyoto.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread