Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/26 03:14
Hi! I am traveling to Japan for 9 days/8 nights from May 14 to May 22, 2016 and came up with this itinerary. Please let me know if you have any feedback or critiques. I cannot speak Japanese and would like things to go as smoothly as possible for my vacation. Thank you.

Day 1: Arrive at Haneda at 6:30pm. Take a train to my accommodations in Asakusa. Walk around the neighborhood, shop, eat, etc.

Day 2: Sanja Matsuri in Asakusa.
Tokyo Big Site at Odaiba for Design Festa

Day 3: Activate 7-day JR Rail Pass.
Visit Tsukijii Market early in the morning.
Option to visit sumo stables at Arashio after Tsukijii Market.
Shop/eat at Tokyo Station
Visit Akihabara
End the day shopping/touring/eating in Asakusa

Day 4: Shibuya/Harajuku/Shinjuku

Day 5: Yokohama
Option to visit Doraemon museum on this day as well.

Day 6: Visit Tokyo Tower and surrounding parks during the day? Take shinkansen to Kyoto.

Day 7: Fushimi Inari
Kinkakuji Golden Temple

Day 8: Tenryuji Temple
Bamboo Groves
Monkey Park

Day 9: Spend more time browsing Kyoto or take shinsenken back to Tokyo to explore more of the city. My flight does not leave until late at night from Haneda.

by doraemonkerpal  

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/27 14:45
Hi, I'm a Japanese national residing in Kobe; thought I should give some comments on your itinerary. Places to visit strictly depends on your interests/purpose of your trip but assuming from your name and the fact that you include visiting Doraemon museum, you are an anime fan and more of an urban type? In that case spending 6+ days in Tokyo out of nine could be adequate but if you would also like to see more of cultural/historical side in Japan, I recommend moving over to Kyoto on day 6, omitting Tokyo Tower. You can add visiting the Great Image of Buddha in Nara on the same day you go to Fushimi; they are on the same JR Nara line.(You will have to start a bit early, though) Kinkakuji and Tenryuji Temples can fall into the same day, they are both on western side of the city, unless you want to spend ample time at the Monkey Park and maybe some boat-rowing in the river afterwards. Last day in Kyoto can include doing some shopping in Shijo area, or Kurama Onsen in northern side or even a Zen Meditation at Myoshinji Temple (be sure to check their schedule at Shunko-in website. Shunko-in is a one of the branch temples at huge Myoshinji temple site). Or check out "Gear", an interesting performance at theater in Kawaramachi sanjo area. Hope this comment helps you.
by bombei rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/27 22:59
For days 1 - 4 you can cover everything you want to do (in Tokyo), including Yokohama with plenty of time to spare.

I would travel to Kyoto on day 5 (though I'm partial to Kyoto).

Fushimi Inari is really interesting, and very easy to get lost in by the way. Also, it's a considerable distance from Kinkakuji.

Rent a bike from J-Cycle (or somewhere like that) in Kyoto. In my opinion it is by far the best way to travel while you're there. It makes things a lot easier.

I've been to the monkey park. It's fun, a lot of walking to get there and in retrospect wasn't really worth it. Unless monkey's are your thing.

While in the Kansai area I would reserve a day to do Nara in the day and Osaka in the evening. The food in Osaka is amazing. Be sure to get Okonomiyaki.

If you have the money I would go see Kabuki. You won't regret it and be sure to get a decent seat.
by calicoaran rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/28 02:21
A few thoughts. As others have said I would have an extra day in Kyoto. I would amend as follows but this is of course just my opinion

Day 1. Fine

Day 2. Busy but fine

Day 3. Walk from Akihabara up to Ueno station through Ameyoko. Asakusa is surprisingly quiet in the evening but there are enough places to eat so you wont have trouble finding somewhere.

Day 4. Do the Sky Tree instead of Tokyo Tower. As you are in Asakusa it is nearby & you can get there when it opens & avoid the crowds. I have done both and really didnt like Tokyo Tower. It felt like they just wanted to get you through as quickly as possible. Then train to Shibuya/Harajuku/Shinjuku. You have to visit the Meiji Shrine while there it's the law (Well mine anyway).

Day 5 . To Kyoto via Yokohama for the Doraemon museum. Leave your luggage in lockers at the station.

On one of the days in Kyoto I would hire a Bicycle from http://www.kctp.net/en/

Day 6. Kyoto. Kiyomizudera, Nijo Castle, Gion

Day 7. Nara via Fushimi Inari, Todaiji, Deer park

Day 8. Fine but Nishiki market & Ryoanji are worth the visit If the mood takes you.

Kyoto or Tokyo

If you are into Manga & Anime as you seem to be then you should really try to visit Nakano Broadway for the many many shops there. http://www.nbw.jp/index_e.html
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/29 03:13
Wow, I appreciate the quick advice and will take it all into consideration! Thank you all! :D
by doraemonkerpal rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/29 08:24
I reccomend same, make a shorter time in Tokyo (4 days)

5 days go to Kyoto.

You can visit Nara for half day and Fushimi Inari same day.

Or you will visit Fushimi Inari in another day and the day which you will go to Nara, you will go first to Himeji Castle morning and for afternoon Nara. And if you want, first day out of Tokyo (dont go to Yokohama, go there for half day one of the day in Tokyo, one of the first 4 days), go direct morning with Shinkansen to Kyoto, spend first day there, than go second day to Hiroshima + Miyajima Island and back to Osaka, than Himeji + Nara + late afternoon if will be time Fushimi Inari, and last day make a 2/3 day again Kyoto and than Shinkansen to Tokyo.
by Radek Nohejl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/29 10:24
I took all of your suggestions into account and tweaked my itinerary. Unfortunately I must stay 5 nights in Tokyo because I already booked and paid for my accommodations. I regret not asking for suggestions beforehand. However, I can completely skip Tokyo on Day 6 and leave for Kyoto as early as possible to fit in a few more recommended sites. I should also mention that I visited Osaka a few years ago on a long layover. The castle and food were phenomenal! Thank you again for your feedback. I'll be traveling by myself and getting my itinerary as perfect as possible will help me avoid any major scheduling problems. I really appreciate it!

Day 1:
*Arrive at Haneda at 6:30pm. Take a train to my accommodations in Asakusa. Walk around the neighborhood, shop, eat, etc.

Day 2:
*Wake up at 6am for Sanja Matsuri in Asakusa.
*Tokyo Big Site at Odaiba for Design Festa

Day 3:
Activate 7-day JR Rail Pass.
*Visit Tsukijii Market early in the morning. Skipping the tuna auction because I won't be able to make it early enough unless I spend a lot of money on a taxi.
*Option to visit Arashio sumo stables after Tsukijii Market.
*Shop and eat at Tokyo Station
*Shop and sightsee Akihabara
*Walk through Ameyoko street on the way back to Asakusa (buy a Sukajan jacket if it's affordable)
*End the day shopping/touring/eating in Asakusa area (Sensoji temple, Nakamise street, Asakusa Culture Tourist Center, etc.)

Day 4:
*Shibuya
*Harajuku (including Meiji Shrine)
*Shinjuku

Day 5:
*Yokohama
*Doraemon museum
*Go back to Tokyo and finish any sightseeing before heading to Kyoto the next day.

Day 6:
*Take Shinkansen to Kyoto.
*Shop and eat lunch at Nishiki Market
*Nijo Castle
*Gion at night? Eat dinner at a restaurant on the Kawadoko riverbank?

Day 7:
*Fushimi Inari
*Nara Park
*Todaiji Temple (Big Bhudda Hall)

Day 8:
*Tenryuji Temple
*Bamboo Groves
*Option to visit Monkey Park
*Kinkakuji Golden Temple

Day 9: Spend more time browsing Kyoto or take shinsenken back to Tokyo to explore more of the city. Perhaps watch the "Gear" 12 noon showing in Kyoto. My flight does not leave until midnight from Haneda which leaves me almost a full day for sightseeing, eating, and shopping.

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/29 11:55
Is it worth to buy 7days JR pass? Since your are not taken sinkansen in the first few days, 7d JR pass may not worth it.
by Alice (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/29 12:28
Hi Alice. I figure I will use the JR Rail Pass getting to/from Kyoto from Tokyo, and I can also use it to get around Tokyo on the Yamanote line. I have to activate the Pass on the third day so that it can coincide with my return to Haneda airport, from Kyoto, on the last day of my trip. I will also buy a Suica card on the first day I arrive at the airport to supplement the JR Rail Pass. Do you think it's still a waste of money? If so, I will do more research on how to get around Tokyo and Kyoto. Thanks!

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/3/29 12:33
The 7 day pass will be worth it as you are going to Kyoto and Nara from Tokyo, then returning to Tokyo. To make full use of your pass you can use one of the day in Tokyo for a day trip out. E.g. Nikko or Kamakura. Kyoto would be to Himeji, Kobe, Okayama, or Hiroshima. Since Hiroshima is the furthest it would be a better idea. You can then visit Kobe, Himeji, and Okayama next time with less travel expense.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/26 08:38
One last question for my trip to Japan. I checked Hyperdia on ways to get from Haneda airport to Asakusa, and it recommends two different routes with negligible time differences. Which would you recommend for a person carrying a backpack and taking 2 rolling pieces of luggage? I'm trying to avoid weaving through crowds or taking up too much space on the subway/train if possible.

Option 1) Monorail - Hamamatsucho - Toei Subway Asakusa line

Option 2) Keikyu airport line - Toei subway Asakusa line

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/26 08:51
Why so much luggage for a 9 day trip?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/26 09:29
I don't think that's excessive for the end of a trip. One suitcase for all your things, one for your souvenirs. The only difference for me is that my second is usually a softsided duffel that packs down to nothing for the flight over, but slowly gets filled as I acquire more things along the way. Makes moving around stations and airports easier as well over multiple suitcases.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/27 02:36
I guess you could say I'm bringing a lot of luggage because it's actually a 2 week trip. I'm coming from another country and finishing my vacation in Japan. One of my bags will actually be empty but I am hoping to fill it up with souvenirs and gifts from Japan.

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/27 02:55
The Tokyo Monorail should get you into Haneda and it's free to use with the JRPass.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/27 09:14
Hi John. I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately I won't be able to activate my JR Pass until later in my trip (day 2 out of 9). Do you have any idea which route would be less crowded? The time difference, according to Hyperdia, is only a few minutes difference and the cost is also not a problem. Thanks in advance!

Option 1) Monorail - Hamamatsucho - Toei Subway Asakusa line

Option 2) Keikyu airport line - Toei subway Asakusa line

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/27 16:44
There are direct trains from Haneda to Asakusa on the Keikyu airport line - Toei subway Asakusa line, no change required, which is good when you have luggage. It's the same train although the line changes name.

See the Haneda Airport page http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html and put in To/From Asakusa in the drop-down box.
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback welcome for 9 day itinerary 2016/4/28 01:53
Awesome! Thanks Ausfam!

reply to this thread