Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/30 18:31
Hello there, we're going to Kyoto soon and I would like to seek for advice in my itinerary.

Day 1 (Reach Kyoto at noon from Osaka Airport)
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Tofukuji Temple
- Shijo Kawaramuchi area at night

Day 2
- One full day at Arashiyama

Day 3
- Kinkakuji, Ryoanji and Ninnaji Temple
- Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path, Nanzenji Temple and Heian Shrine

Day 4
- Kiyomizudera Temple, Higashiyama District, Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park
- Gion District at night

Day 5
-Nishiki Market
-Heading back to Osaka by noon

There's one problem I have, I want to include Nijo Castle into this itinerary but it doesn't seem to fit in any of the days because I feel like there's not much time available for the rest of the attractions if I squeeze this place in. Should I drop this place or do you think that it's still possible to keep it and put it in?

Thank you!
by pauline89 (guest)  

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/31 02:56
Nijojo castle did not impress me so much mainly because it has no donjon unlike Osaka castle or Himeji castle. You would have similar feeling after seeing other temples. If you know the history between Shogun and emperor, it may be a bit different. So I do not think you should stick to it.
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/31 07:33
I didn't really enjoy Nijo either. It was interesting, but not as much so as other sights in Kyoto.

I'd swap your second half of Days 3 and 4; seeing Ginakakuji/etc. and Kiyomizudera/etc. on the same day is much more viable as they're in a similar area. There's a full day walking itinerary featuring all of those sights available on this website - saves you skipping across town.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/31 17:53
Thank you all so much for the kind advice! I'm gonna drop Nijo Castle then :)

For the swap, would it be too exhausting if Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path, Nanzenji Temple and Heian Shrine are added into the same day as Kiyomizudera Temple (and the rest of places on Day 4?) We prefer to stroll around and appreciate the wonders of each sites rather than rushing from one place to another so I'm not sure if fitting all of these in may be a little hurry?
by pauline89 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/31 18:20
They can all be done in a day with decent time at each - check out the Eastern Kyoto Full Day itinerary on this website (find itineraries under the 'Travel Planning' header at the top of the page). They're all on the same side of town and you can walk from place to place (or taxi if you get tired!).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/31 21:44
Let me offer an opposing point of view. I really liked Nijo jo, especially the nightingale floor but have never been that bothered about the philosophers path. I think it's important to realise that you are not going to be able to see everything, to make sure you get to the things at the top of your list & to leave some places "for next time". As @sq says look at the itinerary on this site & work off that
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/3/31 23:23
Yes after reading the itinerary posted here (thank you @sq for letting me about this btw), I think I'll try to follow that instead and hopefully everything works out nicely for that day :)

The top places in my list to cover are mainly Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama, Nishiki Market and Gion. Since I have already included all of them into my trip, just thought of whether I can add one more attraction in assuming if there's anymore time slot during our trip.

Nijo Castle and also Sanjusangendo actually are the ones that I have interest in but not sure whether it's worth visiting. Unless if anyone here can recommend other place that is even more interesting than the two mentioned?

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/1 15:03
I really like the itinerary. Well thought out and doesn't look to rushed. The East side of Kyoto temples being split up is a great idea to allow yourself to go slow.

Sometimes you see itineraries on this website and you think how the person even came close to compiling it. When do they get a change to breathe? haha
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/4 12:29
On one of my trips to Kyoto, I had plans that was similar to your Day 3 (Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path and Heian) and even though my list is less than yours by 2 temples, in reality we were only able to hit 4 places. We had to drop Heian due to time and exhaustion. If you aren't visiting during cherry blossom season then I would drop Philosopher's Path.

Sanjusangendo surprised me. I had low expectations for it but was blown away by the 1001 life sized Kannon statues, each with different details.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/4 13:01
We're going to Kyoto in about 9 days time(very excited!) so yes it'll be during cherry blossom season. I guess I can't drop Philosopher's Path but since you mentioned it's exhausting to cover the places for Day 3, then I think it might be better to move them to Day 4 instead. :)

Yea I'm very intrigued by the 1001 life sized Kannon statues that you mentioned! Perhaps I might visit Sanjusangendo instead of Nijo Castle if I have the time.

Thank you for your advice ami ^^

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/4 16:19
If that's the case then it makes sense that you retain Philosopher's Path in Day 3 since Ginkakuji's entrance is literally in front of it. Just don't walk the whole path so that you don't tire yourself too much. You could move Nanzenji to Day 4 since it's near Maruyama.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/5 14:04
pauline89 - Please post your finalized itinerary.

My Day 3, 4 were similar I am interested in seeing what the latest is.

Thanks
by vblank rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/5 18:24
Hi vblank, this is what I'm most likely to follow for the trip.

Day 1 (Reach Kyoto at noon from Osaka Airport)
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Tofukuji Temple
- Shijo Kawaramuchi area at night

Day 2
- One full day at Arashiyama

Day 3
- Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path, Nanzenji Temple,Heian Shrine
- Kiyomizudera Temple, Higashiyama District, Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park
- Gion District at night

Day 4
- Kinkakuji, Ryoanji and Ninnaji Temple
- Pontoncho at night

Day 5
- Nishiki Market
- Last minute shopping in Kyoto station
- Heading back to Osaka after lunch

(May add in Sanjusangendo if have time)

For Day 4, I'm trying to make it less exhausting and more flexible so that assuming if I may not be able to cover the places from Day 3, I can still continue on in Day 4. In fact if I can cover all the places in Day 3, I will shift Nishiki Market to Day 4 instead and add in Sanjusangendo in Day 5 :)

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/5 21:02
Looks good. Day 3 is busy but should be ok. Best to plan for what to do if one day is wet and to have the flexibility to change day order around just in case.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/5 23:03
Have a wonderful trip. May be we will cross each other multiple times, I will be around in Kyoto same time.
by vblank rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary in Kyoto 2016/4/6 16:45
Day 3 is long. But if you break it up to morning and afternoon it is fine. Kiyomizudera and the like shouldnt take more than 3 hours. Philosopher's path itself takes less than an hour to walk and another hour and half for all the other temples nearby.

Day 4 can be seen in less than 4 hours including walking between all the temples (take the bus unless you want to have a stroll through residential)
If you have time after all that, as i am sure you will, do visit Myoshinji.

Also there are some nice cafes along philosopher's path. Do try them out! One I went to had many postings and photographs. Will photo the entrance the next time I go to wonderful Kyoto.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread