Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/4 10:06
i want to know that is it rude if 3 people order 2 dishes in restaurant in Japan?

for example, IF my friends and I (3 people) go into a restaurant for dinner and we order one set of steak and a set of sukiyaki.

Is it okay? or it is not allowed?
by newbie (guest)  

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/4 10:24
You can search similar threads on this forum for more detailed answers, but generally this practice is frowned upon (at non-izakaya restaurants) UNLESS one of the three people in your group is a small child. Otherwise, each person should order a dish.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/4 11:13
I agree with yllwsmrf, but it's not common for restaurants to serve sukiyaki that is only for 1 person. Sukiyaki is usually a pot menu which should be shared among 2 or more people. And usually, if a group shares a pot of sukiyaki, you will be too full to eat steak.

In any case, you can gesture to the waiter that you have a "small stomach" and ask for recommendations (osusume).
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/4 13:08
Hi

I think that there is no problem even if the market share in three of 2 servings cuisine. And people who do not order a meal I think there is no problem if the order a drink. It is normal to get a small plate for separating take the cuisine.

Photos of the menu pot cuisine is often was taken in two servings or more.However, since the menu is a price of one person, when you order the same as the photo will be the price of 2 times.
by shige (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/4 22:01
"And people who do not order a meal I think there is no problem if the order a drink."
I disagree it.
in general, you don't need to order beverages. that is not obligation.

about OP's question,
it is OK that ordering two dishes for 3 adults, if the restaurants are cheap or in lower class, so called as family restaurants. (2 dishes and no beverages is fine.) (in Japan, "family" means it is cheap and poor people can go.)
if you go to the restaurants of higher class (expensive), you should not do that.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/5 11:05
thanks for responses.

so if we order two sets of different dishes and 3 drinks for 3 adults.. it is not considered rude right?
i do not want to be rude to the locals and leaves bad impression.

http://www.halalmedia.jp/archives/8952/halal-meat-shabu-shabu-sukiyaki...
^
this is one of the restaurant i will go to.
is this family restaurant?
is ramen place also considered as family restaurant?

does the quantity of the food will be the same as in the picture?

is there anything else i need to be careful of when eating out around kansai?
by newbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/5 15:15
Hi newbie.

I think you guys are not the problem without the need for additional drinks. So say the straight that I want to say Osaka of people, you do not need to worry about is predicted.
Enjoy.

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/5 16:04
I think I should reword my answer to say that each person should order something, whether its a dish, meal, or drink. And that that doesn't apply to chain restaurants or places where you are meant to share the food, like izakaya.

To answer your more recent questions:

so if we order two sets of different dishes and 3 drinks for 3 adults.. it is not considered rude right?

That is almost always acceptable.

http://www.halalmedia.jp/archives/8952/halal-meat-shabu-shabu-sukiyaki...
^
this is one of the restaurant i will go to.
is this family restaurant?

No, it doesn't look like a family restaurant. Also keep in mind, if you order the all you can eat set, then everyone at the table will have to order the same set.

is ramen place also considered as family restaurant?

Generally no, but there are some chain type ones that are similar to family restaurants.

does the quantity of the food will be the same as in the picture?

Can't say, but you could probably order what is pictured.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/5 16:24
Correct, just I did not review the restaurant of style. In the street of yllwsmrf's pointed out, because this restaurant is a style all-you-can-eat in time, meal is I think that there is a need to ask a few minutes people. Everyone at that time it is likely that there is a need to ask the same course.

http://www.hotpepper.jp/strJ001093204/

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/5 18:14
Looking at that specific restaurant, I would feel comfortable with 1 out of 3 people ordering Sukiyaki & Shabushabu set, and another ordering steak set, if you want to share them.

But as yllwsmrf mentioned, if any of you ordered the "all-you-can-eat," the 3 of you would usually order the same, so 3 all-you-can-eat, because if only 1 of you ordered that, there would be a risk for the restaurant that 2 people might feed on 1 payment.

In an Italian restaurant, I would find it rude if 3 people together just ordered 1 or 2 pasta dishes and shared it/them, particularly if it's crowded (I have seen three young women ordering one pasta dish and sharing it and occupying the table for 2 hours, which is a no-no), the same applies to Japanese set menu restaurant during a busy time.
Ramen restaurants, particularly of the "stand" type, are eat-quickly-and-then-go places, and the restaurant relies on everyone eating a full meal to make decent revenues, so I would not share on ramen between 2 people.

The other day, 6 of us (4 apparently non-Japanese looking, 2 Japanese) went to a set menu type of Japanese restaurant in mid-afternoon, when it was not packed, and ended up ordering... 4 meal sets (rice, soup, salad and meat dish), 2 beers, and 1 sake. While I must admit I gave out the lame excuse saying sorry but some of us are not that hungry, the staff was OK with it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/6 18:29
hi shige.
i am sorry but i do not understand what you're saying in your lastest post. could you elaborate more?

are you saying that i need to ask the staff of the restaurant is it okay to order 2 sets for 3 adults? or if all three of us want to have shabu-shabu/sukiyaki, all three need to order 3 sets of shabu shabu?

we are not planning to eat and sit for long time...maybe for 30-45 mins only.
because last year all three of us inhaled food for 10mins. haha.
it is difficult to find halal food so we get really hungry
by newbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/6 21:04
You really need to ask the restaurant what their policy is - the rest of us can only guess.

If I had to guess, I would guess that all three of you need to order at east one dish each, based on my experience in hundreds of other restaurants in Japan.

Since there are three of you, the restaurant will need to give you a four-person table, and if they're crowded that means that some other party of four people won't get in and won't order four dinners that night. The pricing of a meal at a restaurant is based on the cost of the ingredients, labor, rent, turnover and a lot of other factors, but the market is very competitive and often there's only a thin margin between breaking even and losing money.

I understand that perhaps there aren't a lot of strictly Halal restaurants to choose from, but generally speaking if you're not happy paying the price of a meal at a restaurant, you should look for a cheaper restaurant.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: if 3 people order food for 2 people only? 2016/4/6 21:10
Looking at that website, I see that that restaurant also has cheaper Halal meals such as cutlet skewers and pizza. They also offer student discounts (if you qualify). They're also cheaper at lunchtime.

http://www.halalmedia.jp/archives/11685/bulls-started-offering-student...
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread