Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass overnight - last day of validity 2016/4/5 22:40
Dear all,
I would like you to be so kind and help me to clarify certain questions that are connested with using the Japan Rail Pass.

a) If I happen to board LTD EXPRESS SUNRISE IZUMU at 23:35 in Himeji (on the last day of validity of the Pass) will I be able to arrive to Tokio (arrival time 7:08) even though the Pass validity has expired. Will I be charged any additional cost or not?

My second question is following.
b) If I pass tourniquet in Osaca before midnight (just before the pass validity expires) and I board a train in Osaca (seat reservation "free" departure from Himeji) 32 minutes after midnight (which means that the pass is 32 mins after expiration), will the seat reservation be still valid?

Will the seat reservation be for free for the whole journey Himeji-Tokio like in case a)?

Will the train conductor ask me for some extra charge in case I travel after midnight. We will not be transferring (change train) to any other train type like shinkansen,limited express or express, though we will be on the same train that we have boarded on at 23:35

Thank you for your feedback

Sincerely

Libor J.
by JR pass overnight - last day of validity (guest)  

Re: JR pass overnight - last day of validity 2016/4/6 18:25
With your question b, it looks like you are trying to game the system, not cool. Get a ticket from Himeji, and board at Himeji.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass overnight - last day of validity 2016/4/7 06:11
Board at Himeji and you have no issues and no extra to pay.

Be aware though that the "free" seating covered by the JR passes is highly sort after and sometimes difficult to book for foreigners.

Otherwise you will have to pay extra for the single or double berth rooms.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass overnight - last day of validity 2016/4/7 07:31
My understanding is that you need to board the train before midnight so under option (b) you would probably have to pay (on the train) when the conductor checks that you have a valid ticket.

Also refer to http://jprail.com/trains/sort-by-type/limited-express/sunrise-izumo.ht... (the timetable has changed since it was originally written).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass overnight - last day of validity 2016/4/7 08:34
If I happen to board LTD EXPRESS SUNRISE IZUMU at 23:35 in Himeji (on the last day of validity of the Pass) will I be able to arrive to Tokio (arrival time 7:08) even though the Pass validity has expired. Will I be charged any additional cost or not?

If you successfully make a reservation for a nobinobi compartment, your journey will be fully covered. But as others have pointed out, this can be challenging.

If you use a different compartment (also needs advance reservation), you will have to pay a supplement because the Japan Rail Pass does not cover these types of compartments. The supplement is around 9500-17000 depending on the compartment type.

b) If I pass tourniquet in Osaca before midnight (just before the pass validity expires) and I board a train in Osaca (seat reservation "free" departure from Himeji) 32 minutes after midnight (which means that the pass is 32 mins after expiration), will the seat reservation be still valid?

No, if you board a limited express train after midnight, you will be charged the limited express fee. Don't try to cheat the system.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread