Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/13 22:47
Hi,
I will be going to japan in may and have already planned my itinerary. I will be spending 6 days in tokyo.
Day1: asakusa, skytree, ueno, ameyoko
2: akihabara, tokyo tower
3: meiji shrine, harajuku, omotesando, shibuya
4: disneysea
5: tsukiji, ginza
6: free and easy day

Are there any suggestions on what to do on the 6th day? My friend wants to go cafe hopping on that day and I will not be joining her.
I was looking at places like kawagoe, koenji, shimokitazawa, odaiba etc. (somewhere close, relaxing and easy to get to) But not sure which place has the most to look at for me to spend one whole day.

In addition, is there anything to do around the ginza area other than shop and walk around? The day seems quite empty.

TIA.
by shu (guest)  

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 10:27
Ginza is pretty much that. Expensive western shops.

You could go from Tsukiji to Hama Rikyu and then go via boat to Odaiba.

Shimokitazawa, Daikanyama, Nakameguro and Jiyugaoka are all great to wander around in a day. Otherwise, Yanaka offers a quiet suburb that feels like old Tokyo. It's near Ueno though so may be better visited in the same day.

Have you considered Kamakura?
by Sal1980 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 12:45
When are you arriving in Tokyo?
by 1985cherry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 15:55
How about Shinjuku? Go to the observation deck on top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building, Shinjuku Gyoen, Kabuchiko, i etc.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 16:04
The water bus between Hama Riku which is a 500 meter walk from Tsukiji, up to Asakusa which is a fun world in itself, especially if you go to Hanashiki theme park next door. Don't personally know if Asahi brewery is worth a visit but if so,...anyone?...it is a short walk across the bridge where the water bus let you off.
Ginza is about as much fun as going to an upscale mall. Tokyo Big Site and the TV Station that looks like a box of steel beams is worthwhile, especially if there's a good car show on.
Yanaka is a delight and a dream. Go hungry and load up on really great Japanese comfort food on "Yanaka Ginza," a short walk thru the fascinating Buddhist cemetery from where you enter Yanaka (right by the Tennoji big buddah) after walking up from the Yamanote Line Nippori station. And, when in Aki, if you go east on the Sobu line from the Aki Station, you get to some interesting museums and kind of the Sumo center of Tokyo before arriving at Asakusa.
Enjoy!
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 16:21
Another suggestion, how about a day trip to Yokohama? It's very near Tokyo, less than an hour away.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 16:48
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Pick one of the 50+ attractions...
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 17:44
Haneda is a residential area with some pieces of nice gardens/parks.
University of Tokyo has a number of cafes and stuff in the area for the students.
I enjoyed a night of walking the residential district of Ikebukuro at night. Those small lanes and the random stranger.
Outside of Tokyo City but still within Tokyo limits is a mountain and some walks but you might as well go take a day-trip out of Tokyo.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 17:47
Outside of Tokyo City

There is no Tokyo City; each of the 23 wards is similar to a city in other parts of Japan. Actually, they call themselves cities in English. http://www.city.shibuya.tokyo.jp/index.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/14 23:09
very unique academic course:
Rikugien Park + Toyo Bunko Museum+ Tokyo University + Sugamo Jizodori Shotenkai
by wombat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/15 00:57
@Sal1980 : wow thanks. Didn't know there was a boat to odaiba near tsukiji. Have you been to the hama rinkyu garden? If you have how did you find the place? Kind of put off that the park has an admission fee. Yanaka seems like an awesome place! Will definitely go there. I did consider kamakura but the commute seems a little far and looks similar to stuff in kyoto? Will be going to kawaguchiko, hakone, kyoto and osaka after that.

@1985cherry : Mid May.

@ami : Thanks for the suggestions! But I think I'm looking for places with a more relaxing vibe.

by shu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/15 06:17
Pleasant hike up Mount Takao which can be easily reached in a 50 minute 390yen train ride from Shinjuku.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3029.html#/section_introduction

Or how about a day trip to Kamakura & Enoshima?

There is also the Ghibli Museum which is well worth a visit if you're a fan of the Studio Ghibli movies.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Place in Tokyo apart from standard areas 2016/4/15 07:00
The admission fee to Hama Rikyu is only 300 yen. That's next to nothing. It's a very nice park and it's worthwhile to pay for tea ceremony as well.

Kamakura isn't that far and the Daibutsu at Hase is big draw card that Kyoto doesn't have. The landscape is different for both places too.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread