Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/13 23:21
We are flying to Sapporo early May (ticket bought) and will rent a car self drive around Hokkaido for 14 days. Our plan was to drive Sapporo - Asahidake- Wakkunai-Shiretoko-Lake Toya. Having read some travel book realised we maybe too ambitious as there is quite a lot of driving and I am the only driver as my wife can't drive. Also the flowering seasons is in July, we wonder if there is much to see in May. Could you please give us some ideas to improve our itinerary for our 14 days self drive.
by cupcake101010  

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/14 15:40
Would appreciate if experience travellers give us some ideas for self drive in May.
by cupcake101010 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/14 17:49
1. It is not too ambitious
2. Number 1 is only applicable if you are used to driving. How long can you sit in the driver's seat in one sitting?
3. You might want to include an accomodation or two with a hot spring. It would help with any back pains.
4. Going to the gym and doing back stretching exercises for two weeks prior to the trip will help.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/15 12:48
Thanks I was at the gym this morning. Any comments on itinerary. Our revised plan

Day 1-4 Sapporo & Otaru
Day 5-6 Lake Toya
Day 7-9 Furano, Biei and Ashahidake
Day 10-11 Shiretoko
Day 12 Mombetsu
Day 13-15 Wakkanai, Rebun, Rishiri

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/15 13:26

maybe too ambitious as there is quite a lot of driving

Driving in Hokkaido , especially in the countryside , is very easy. Very much like driving in countryside of Western Australia. However, the speed limit in the national highway in general is 60 km/h, unlike Western Australia 100-110 km/h. You may have to adjust your itinerary accordingly.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/15 13:53
Regardless of the speed limit the new plan looks doable in the time. Hokkaido sure is large but you are allocating enough days for each of these places.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/15 14:04

Day 13-15 Wakkanai, Rebun, Rishiri

You may want to allocate more days for this visit.
I am visiting in late May, and initially thought 3 days would suffice.
After doing more research, I wish I allocated more days.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/15 14:18
It's easy to fall asleep driving long hours at 60km/hr. I will limit longest stretch around 250km, think it ok? From Wakkanai I will return car and take a flight to Tokyo. I have not booked flight yet and can extend stay at wakkanai, don't mind can you suggest how many days and things to do? Thanks a lot guys

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/16 02:53
definitely make your last place to visit be Sapporo-Otaru for 3 important reasons: 1) near airport on last couple of days 2) allows you to add or subtract a day here or there before you get to Sapporo which gives you a lot of flexibility and 3) you can rest up and enjoy Sapporo area without thinking ahead of all the places you are going to
by sapporostan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/16 11:51
Thanks for your suggestion. We arrived Sapporo first week of May and want to experience the Sakura, that the reason we started in Sapporo. The sapporo period is short about a week.

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/30 07:12
Hi there,
I'm a Kiwi living in Hokkaido. I like your itinerary, looks great. Be aware that the first week in May in Japan is called golden week so you can expect the roads to be a little busy. It looks like your first few days are in Sapporo area though so you should be fine.
The weather is still very cold here - it's 3 degrees centigrade today and the forecast is snow!
For your information, the sakura cherry blossoms are just beginning to show, and should peak in a week or so.
We are in Yoichi, one hour from Sapporo by train, and 30 minutes from Otaru. If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me on ivornz at gmail dot com.
Happy holiday.

Ivor.
by Ivor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in May for 14 days 2016/4/30 18:13
Thanks Ivor for you info, we will be in Sapporo from 2 to 6 May hope to catch the Sakura. Keep fingers crossed for warmer weather and no snow as we rented a Small 1300 cc car.

reply to this thread