Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Avoiding Rush Hour(s) in Tokyo 2016/4/15 16:05
hello... :)

my wife and i plan to go to Japan in November.
on November 5th 2016 (Saturday) we plan to take the Shinkasen to Kyoto, probably from Shinagawa (from Narita : N'EX to Shinagawa then Shinkansen to Kyoto).
returning to Shinagawa on November 7th (Monday), transfer to JR Yamanote to Ikebukuro, stay there till 11th (Friday).

i would like to ask if anyone have any information about Shinagawa & Ikebukuro Station's rush hours ? as it will be more convenient to avoid those hours....

i read somewhere, it's around 6-9AM & 5-7PM on weekdays ?
what about weekends ?

and also, will the Shinkansen get crowded on weekdays/weekends too ?

thanks in advance. God bless.
by Randhy (guest)  

Re: Avoiding Rush Hour(s) in Tokyo 2016/4/16 12:12
The rush hours you have seem right; between 6-7 am might not be as busy though, depending on the station. On weekends, you can expect most major stations to be busy non-stop once shops and attractions open (around 10 in the morning).

Shinkansen are less busy depending on the season and the train; for example, in cherry blossom season the shinkansen from 9am to end of day leaving/arriving at Shin-Osaka are packed with daytrippers, but an evening train from Tokyo to Kyoto (leaving around 6pm) is more quiet. If you have a rail pass, make reservations whenever possible to save yourself some stress.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Avoiding Rush Hour(s) in Tokyo 2016/4/16 13:10
Between Ikebukuro and Shibuya is probably the busiest stretch of rail in Japan for peak hours.

Peak hour in Japan is very similar to the rest of the world for weekdays. And on weekends around major shopping areas. 10-11am and 4-5pm can also be mayhem.

Just plan your day in advance and try to avoid it. If you get stuck in it. So be it. It is an experience in itself. I found it quite fun and amusing being jammed in like sardines for one trip.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Avoiding Rush Hour(s) in Tokyo 2016/4/16 19:01
You can avoid the crowd by the Narita axpress or Shinkansen, although they're much less frequent than ordinary trains, and more expensive (if you don't have a rail pass). Try a Hyperdia search with "Ordinary train" disabled.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Avoiding Rush Hour(s) in Tokyo 2016/4/16 21:40
Thank you all. With your infos, i believe i can avoid the rush hours. Wish me luck 👍
by Randhy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread