Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naoshima and the Art Islands in early July? 2016/4/17 08:14
Hi,

I am planning on visiting Naoshima and the art islands in early July. I have noticed that the Setouchi Triennale begins July 18 this year. Unfortunately, my schedule won't allow me to be there for the festival, but I am wondering if it will still be possible to visit all the regular sights on the islands during the first two weeks of July, or if some sights may be closed in preparation?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jens
by Jens (guest)  

Re: Naoshima and the Art Islands in early July? 2016/4/17 19:12
Your best bet is to contact them direct (there's a good Naoshima website).

From my experience- the Naoshima museums and art houses are the same at the time of the Trienniale as they are at any other time (we've visited during the Trienniale and also in normal times), so I can't imagine that they would be closed.

BUT, I would check directly with them.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima and the Art Islands in early July? 2016/4/18 17:44
The Setouchi Triennale doesn't really have an influence on what is open and what it closed on Naoshima.
What is the difference then?
Well, first it's financial, during the Triennale, the Art Passport makes everything cheaper... And more importantly, it's the other islands in the area (which are much more interesting than Naoshima in my opinion) where all the fun is at during the Triennale, but has a lot of art closed when the Triennale is not on.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima and the Art Islands in early July? 2016/5/30 09:42
Just a a warning, while the festival starts July 18th, that's a monday and a national holiday. As a result my understanding is that most museums will also be closed on Tuesday 19th and that one should not go before Wednesday 20th.
If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
by Marc MERLIN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima and the Art Islands in early July? 2016/5/30 10:30
The Triennale CAN affect what is open, but that is more true for the islands that participate specifically during the Triennale, such as Ibukijima, Awashima, etc. Naoshima has been made an "art island" (along with Inujima and Teshima) so that most of their sites are open even when the Triennale is over. Most of Naoshima should be open as long as you don't visit on a Monday.

Still, there may be some works that are new this year and may not remain after the festival, like 004 bystander, that MAY not be open.
by Art (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima and the Art Islands in early July? 2016/5/31 09:49
I was at Naoshima in April and they were selling the triennial passport then, but it only pays off if you are visiting a lot of items. Also, as some of the installations are outside, the event does not have much impact on those.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread