Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/21 21:10
Hi all, we are a family of five (all adults) from Malaysia, planning to self tour Japan end of this year. We plan to spend 10 nights in Japan, arriving Osaka and departing Tokyo. Our travel itinerary is Osaka-Himeji-Kyoto-Nara-Tokyo. I have checked out the 7-day JR Pass and it is not affordable (US$260 per adult) at all. In this context, should we get the 4-day JR Kansai Area Pass (6,300 yen per adult) to cover our Osaka-Himeji-Kyoto-Nara itinerary and then perhaps think of another cheaper way to get to Tokyo from Kyoto? Thank you.
by Neo (guest)  

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 08:27
I have checked out the 7-day JR Pass and it is not affordable (US$260 per adult) at all.

That is correct. The JR Pass will not pay off for one way travel between Tokyo and Osaka. You'd be better of buying single tickets.

Otherwise consider highway buses. The route is very competitive and you can find fares around 3000 yen per person.

In this context, should we get the 4-day JR Kansai Area Pass (6,300 yen per adult) to cover our Osaka-Himeji-Kyoto-Nara itinerary and then perhaps think of another cheaper way to get to Tokyo from Kyoto?

Yes, that could be an option, especially if you are basing yourself in one city and visiting the rest from there as the pass already pays off with the roundtrip between Osaka and Himeji.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 08:28
The 7-day JR Pass usually requires a round trip between Osaka and Tokyo for it to pay off, so you're right that it probably won't be a good choice for your itinerary. Check that the Kansai Pass does pay off before you purchase it, though.

You could buy separate tickets for the shinkansen to Tokyo, or look into an overnight bus (cheaper, but longer trip and less comfortable). Flights may also be cheaper than the shinkansen if you travel with a low cost carrier, but remember to include the time and cost to travel to and from the airports.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 09:18
Use IC card for Himeji/Nara/Osaka/Kyoto as most days wont cost more than 1000 yen. A 4 day pass for 6,300 is economical. Unless you plan to ride shinkansen or attempt to ride limited expresses to save 10-15 minutes.

Purchase one way shinkansen tickets osaka to tokyo for around 14,000 yen for reserved seat. Or go other options as above.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 09:22
forgot to add. the JR pass is only good for their train lines. getting around kyoto is better by other rail companies and buses. which the pass does not cover.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 09:41
Yes, that could be an option, especially if you are basing yourself in one city and visiting the rest from there as the pass already pays off with the roundtrip between Osaka and Himeji.

I was incorrect here btw. This calc presumed shinkansen, but the pass you mentioned is not valid on the shinkansen. However the pass is still likely to pay off for your itinerary over regular tickets.

Use IC card for Himeji/Nara/Osaka/Kyoto as most days wont cost more than 1000 yen. A 4 day pass for 6,300 is economical. Unless you plan to ride shinkansen or attempt to ride limited expresses to save 10-15 minutes.

It might be cheaper to use regular tickets or IC cards, but only by a bit and it depends on where you are based and if you are doing 3 day trips or 4. For example, if you stay in Osaka and travel to the other cities you're looking at:

Osaka-Himeji is about 3000 round trip
Osaka-Kyoto about 1100 yen round trip
Osaka-Nara about 1500 yen round trip

One more day trip alone, or the train to Kansai Airport will put you over the cost of the 4 day pass.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 10:25
Osaka-Himeji is about 3000 round trip
Osaka-Kyoto about 1100 yen round trip
Osaka-Nara about 1500 yen round trip

One more day trip alone, or the train to Kansai Airport will put you over the cost of the 4 day pass.

Plus buses for the Kyoto day. Or extra cost up the Sanin Line to Saga-Arashiyama. Buses to Kiyomizudera/Higashiyama etc.

There are some cheaper and closer stations to some attractions.

jr-osaka to jr-himeji 2980
hankyu-umeda to hankyu-arashiyama 800
jr-osaka to kintetsu-nara 1340
jr-osaka to kiyomiza-gojo 1120
total = 6240 (cheaper again if staying in kyoto)

cheaper than kansai pass (by 60 yen haha). kansai pass does not cover arashiyama or kentetsu nara stations. which in my option are better than JR options as they are closer to the attractions and you now dont need to pay for a extra bus service. save you feet some walk.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 10:31
sorry. i forgot to add the the passes look great when comparing them to regular jr west tickets. but:-

osaka to saga-arashiyama = 970 one way
umeda to hankyu-arashiyama = 400 one way

osaka to nara = 800 one way
osaka to kintetsu-nara = 560 one way (this requires a transfer)

the private railways offer cheaper transport options. and in my option their nara, arashiyama and east kyoto temples/shrine stations are a lot better positioned compared to jr stations.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 12:19
Thank you, guys. Your guys are awesome!!
by Neo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 15:27
Yes there are a ton of alternative routes around Kansai, but it's more involved than just listing the cheapest fares between specific parts of the cities. Its pretty difficult to give a definitive recommendation without knowing your daily itinerary and base location, which is why I only say the JR Kansai Area Pass is an option. If you can give us more info we might be able to offer better suggestions.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 23:03
kansai thru pass 3 days is better.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/22 23:38
Ok guys, this is our travel itinerary and our rail travel plan. Please check to see if I have gotten it right.
We will arrive at Kanzai Airport (buy Icoca card) and will stay in Osaka for 3 nights. We will use one of our days in Osaka to travel to Himeji and return (buy the 1-day JR Kanzai Area Pass @ Y2060). After 3 days in Osaka, we will travel to Kyoto (buy one-way JR rapid shinkaisoku train ticket @ Y560) and stay there for another 3 nights. Again, we will use one of our days in Kyoto to travel to Nara (buy return JR rapid shinkaisoku train ticket @ Y1420). After 3 days in Kyoto, we will travel to Tokyo (buy the one-way shinkansen ticket @ Y13500). Total cost is Y17540.
Did i get it right? Thanks again guys.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/25 09:22
Sounds pretty good. The only tweak I would make is to go to Nara via Kintetsu Railways instead of JR. It's cheaper, and as Hakata14 mentioned, gets you closer to the sights in Nara.

Re: Cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo 2016/4/25 12:05
Hi guys, what do you guys think of my self-tour itinerary?

I may have to skip Himeji Castle and spend one extra day (4 instead of 3 days) in Kyoto. Also, i have deleted Lake Kawaguchiko from my 4 days in Tokyo coz i don't think i will have enough time.

Tour Itinerary (Arrive Kanzai 7am, 27 Nov; depart Narita 10.30am, 7 Dec)

27/11 Sun (Osaka):
• Osaka Castle
• Minami, Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori

28/11 Mon (Osaka):
• Himeji Castle (may skip to spend extra day in Kyoto)

29/11 Tue (Osaka):
• Minami, Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori

30/11 Wed:
• Nishiki Market
• Gion

1/12 Thu (Kyoto):
• Arashiyama and Sagano

2/12 Fri (Kyoto):
• Fushimi Inari Shrine
• Tofukuji Temple
• Nara Park & Todaiji Temple

3/12 Sat (Tokyo):
• Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office
• Shinjuku
• Shibuya / Hachiko (at night)

4/12 Sun:
• Meiji Jingu
• Ginza
• Akihabara
• Yurakucho (at night)

5/12 Mon:
• Bunkyo Civic Center (To view Mt Fuji)
• Asakusa / Sensoji Temple
• Yanaka
• Ameyoko

6/12 Tue:
• The Tsukiji Market
• Tsukishima
• Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden

7/12 Wed:
• Depart 10.30am

Your generous comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

reply to this thread