Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

volunteer in a zen garden 2016/4/23 23:21
do you know if there are any options for tourists to volunteer for about 1 week in a Japanese zen garden, assisting in all the everyday work in the garden? many thanks
by Rachel (guest)  

Re: volunteer in a zen garden 2016/4/24 10:45
Upkeep of Zen gardens is not volunteer work. It isn't any kind of work. It is a religious practice of the Zen Buddhist sect. The garden is part of the temple and maintained for spiritual training of the priests. They do not need volunteers.
by Hmm... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: volunteer in a zen garden 2016/4/24 15:43
thank you very much for your quick response. I heard from afriend who lives there that there are places which allows forigners to stay for meditation + working in the gardens, but maybe he was wrong. thanks anyway.
by rachel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: volunteer in a zen garden 2016/4/24 16:12
There are quite a few temples that offer meditation classes (short-term and longer term) for foreigners.

This link includes a comprehensive guide to these temples:
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/temple-accommodation.html

As for gardening, "Hmm" is correct. But there is always the meditation option.

Hope this helps :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: volunteer in a zen garden 2016/4/24 16:24
it sure does! thank you!
by rachel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: volunteer in a zen garden 2017/1/1 22:48
Hi Rachel, I read your question about zen garden and wanted to know if you found a place. I'm also interested in the same idea.
Thank you.
by Alice (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread