Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kawaguchiko, Mitsutoge & Shibazakura 2016/4/24 16:07
Ifm planning a day trip from Tokyo to the Fuji Five Lakes. We have a very limited time in Japan and stay overnight in the area, so wefre trying to fit as much into one day as possible. I would really appreciate any help in making a plan for the day.

We would like to hike Mt. Mitsutoge but from what I read online it seems that the most common hike takes 6 – 8 hours, which is too much if we want to visit other places during the day as well. Ifve read that there is a ghiking bush that goes from Kawaguchiko station to the Mitsutoge Tozan-guchi (trailhead) between 9 and 10. The link for the bus should be http://bus.fujikyu.co.jp/rosen/detail/id/10 but if I run it through google translator it says Santsutoge trailhead not Mitsutoge trailhead. Is this the correct schedule? How long does the hike take if we start at the Mitsutoge Tozan-Guchi and want to return to the lake Kawaguchiko on the other side (and either take the Kacgi Kachi ropeway or walk all the way down). By taking the bus wouldnft we miss any important or nice spots (such as the 88 budhas or some great views of Fuji)?

The second thing we would really like to see is the Fuji Shibazakura festival. We will be there May 15 – do you know if the flowers will be in full bloom at this time? How much time would you recommend spending at the festival? I understand that it usually takes 30 minutes from Kawaguchiko to Shibazakura festival with the shuttle but could take much longer during peak days/times. Is this right? We will be there on Sunday, so should we be worried about this?

Finally, we would also like to spend some time by the lake – maybe walk/bike on the north shore walking trail all the way to Ohishi park. Another idea would be Kawaguchi Asama shrine but Ifm not sure if it makes sense since we will be seeing lots of other shrines and temples while we are in Japan.

So the question is – is this doable on a day trip from Tokyo? We are happy to leave very early (perhaps around 6am to catch the first hiking bus) and arrive late to Tokyo but still. If not, what would you recommend skipping?

Last question – is it necessary to reserve seats on the train from Tokyo since it is a Sunday during the Shibazakura festival?

Thank you!
by BaaraM  

reply to this thread