Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/24 23:46
Hi Everyone,

So I know this is not a new question and it's probably been answered a 1000 times before before so apologies for that, but I need help with what travel card(s) to buy.

I'm drawn to the ICOCA card because I have a 1 week trip to Japan (I know its not long at all!) visiting Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. I understand it is valid in all these places but with more limited use in Tokyo?

Is buying the ICOCA card the best option or is there a better way to go? I just want a no hassle way to get around and see as much as possible in the time I have.

n.b. I intend to get the Nozomi from Osaka to Tokyo and this will be paid separate to any pass.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Steve

by Stephen (guest)  

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/25 08:37
With a few exceptions, the IC cards are more or less interchangeable to tourists so you typically just buy the one that is sold at the first station you encounter on your journey. If you find that you need a different IC card for a specific reason, then you can typically get one at that point in time or buy a normal ticket. No more than a few seconds lost.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/25 10:03
There's no limitation to the use of the ICOCA card within Tokyo; you can use it on all public transport. Some extra services that take IC cards may not accept the ICOCA.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/25 13:12
Each area's discount tickets(no sold out) cheaper than ICOCA as total cost include Tokyo.
Jump to this page bottom then "Getting there and around" page.

Basically ICOCA is NO discount just good for fewer times use.
And ICOCA provided by JR-West(Railway company name)
so cannot deposit back and reissue by lost/damaged into Tokyo(Suica by JR-East/PASMO by non JR groups) area.
But "e-money" usage(for shopping/eating at restaurants) is same good deal for cashless.
http://icocaem.jr-odekake.net/
http://www.jreast.co.jp/suicamoney/shopping/index.html

Also For Nozomi order long oneway base fare ticket at JR ticket counter of KIX.
This long oneway base fare ticket valid for 5 days with stop over unlimited from Osaka,Kyoto until Tokyo(include 23 wards).
(NOT btw Osaka and Kyoto also back way)
So just express ticket of Nozomi from Kyoto to Shinagawa/Tokyo(not include 23 wards) plus cheaper until 5th day.
(NOT Shin-Osaka to Shinagawa/Tokyo)
by asim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/27 01:26
Thank you all for your responses much appreciated.

Can I ask asim for a bit more information on this though:

Also For Nozomi order long oneway base fare ticket at JR ticket counter of KIX.
This long oneway base fare ticket valid for 5 days with stop over unlimited from Osaka,Kyoto until Tokyo(include 23 wards).
(NOT btw Osaka and Kyoto also back way)
So just express ticket of Nozomi from Kyoto to Shinagawa/Tokyo(not include 23 wards) plus cheaper until 5th day.
(NOT Shin-Osaka to Shinagawa/Tokyo)

Is this a better option than getting a one-way Nozomi straight through to Tokyo from Osaka?

Thanks again all

Stephen
by Stephen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/27 01:59
As a general rule, buying the base fare ticket for several segments all at once is cheaper than buying them separately. (The only case where it may be more expensive is if one of the segments is very short.)

See http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/66616/when-are-stopovers-per...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/27 17:08
In this particular case, the base fare from Kansai Airport to Tokyo is 9,830 yen, valid for 5 days. Kansai Airport to Shin-Osaka and Shin-Osaka to Tokyo separately is 10,110. You save less than 300 yen, which is pretty much negligible.

And in any case, you can save more than that with the Icoca & Haruka package. http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca Card for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo 2016/4/28 04:18
Brilliant, thanks everyone for the help!
by Stephen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread