Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in August 2016/4/25 01:20
Hi,

This question/thread may be too broadl, but I'll give it a go. Basically the question is: would you recommend going on vacation in Japan in mid August?

Last year in March me and my girlfriend visited Japan for the first time (we stayed in the greater Tokyo area). We really enjoyed our stay and want to see more of the country. So, we have the option to visit Japan once again this year, but this time it would be in mid August. A couple of things are holding us back booking this trip, mainly the weather (both of us don't like really hot and humid weather) and the possibility of huge crowds (especially during Obon). There's also the option to go in the beginning of next year, but, you know, I don't want to wait that long :).

Do you have any advice for us (even if it's "In your case I wouldn't go")? And if you think it's no problem, which parts or what activities, etc would you recommend in August (I know I'm asking a lot)?

Thanks
by RLCL  

Re: Japan in August 2016/4/25 10:25
Summer in Japan is really awesome, but throughout most of the country it is indeed very hot and humid, and if you don't like that kind of weather, it might be a bit rough for you! If you still really really want to go to Japan, I'd recommend either heading up north for the majority of your sightseeing, such as Hokkaido and Northern Tohoku, or make it a beach/tropical vacation and visit down to Okinawa and Southern Kyushu.

As for the crowds, it is a very busy time, and some hotels may be more expensive because of it. But I think if you are flexible, you'll be fine. Obon is a holiday more for family, so while transportation and hotels might be a bit harder to book during a few days, attractions really shouldn't be much worse than normal.

I guess it just depends on you. It will give you a very different idea of Japan from your trip in March, but if you're really concerned about the weather and crowds, it may be better for you to wait for a different time to visit.

by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in August 2016/4/25 16:57
If you don't like the hot/humid weather, then avoid it - it will make the trip more pleasant if you delay until September and October (less humid, but might still be hot). Also check different regions for climate - the whole country is not identical and some places are not especially humid during summer.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in August 2016/4/25 17:02
August is the worse month of hot and humid. Just wait and go in a cooler and quieter month.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in August 2016/4/26 00:58
Thanks for the quick and honest responses. I guess we probably will enjoy the trip more during a different period in the year :)
by RLCL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread