Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 01:32
Hello,

I was wondering if you'd be so kind to have a look at my one day Kyoto itinerary. Sadly, I can only stay for one night in Kyoto. Since I have to leave early in the morning the next day I tried to plan as much as possible in my one free day there.

Is what I have planned possible or is it too much?

- Travel from Osaka to Kyoto. Arrive at around 07:30 am

- Use a locker in Kyoto station to store my luggage

- Travel to Inari station by train

- Walk from Inari Station to Fushimi-Inari-Taisha

- Visit Fushimi-Inari-Taisha

- Walk from Fushimi-Inari-Taisha to Inari Station

- Train from Inari Station to Saga-Arashiyama Station

- Walk from Saga-Arashiyama Station to Tenryuji Temple

- Visit Tenryuji Temple

- Walk from Tenryuji Temple to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove (Is it correct that I should exit the temple via the north gate? Is there a faster way to get to the Grove from the temple?)

- Visit Arashiyama Bamboo Grove

- Visit Okochi-Sanso Villa at the top of the mountain (Am I correct in thinking that I can access the Villa from the Grove?)

- Walk from Okochi-Sanso Villa to Saga-Arashiyama Station (Take route that passes the Nonomiya Shrine)

- Take train from Saga-Arashiyama to Emmachi Station

- Walk from Emmachi Station to Nishinokyo Enmachi

- Take bus 205 to Kinkaku-ji Michi

- Walk from Kinkaku-ji Michi to Kinkakuji Temple

- Visit Kinkakuji Temple

- What are my best options now to get back to Kyoto station and get my luggage?

- Short walk from Kyoto to AirBnB

- Short walk from AirBnb to Yasaka Shrine

- Explore the Shrine, the surrounding Gion area, have food, drinks, tea.

In between I will obviously stop for drinks and food. The schedule feels busy for me, but maybe it is too cramped?

I also have a question about bus 205. I assume there are two 205 services: one from Point A to Z and one from Point Z to A. When taking the 205 to Kinkaku-ji Michi, what direction do I have to travel? Could somebody maybe advice a good Kyoto bus planner.

Thanks in advance!
by CoffeeWizard  

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 09:00
It's too bad you have luggage, otherwise you could streamline your trip quite a bit and save yourself an hour or two of sightseeing time. Any chance you could send it ahead to a future destination and just go with a small daypack for the day?

Otherwise, I'll try to answer some of your questions according to your schedule.

Travel from Osaka to Kyoto. Arrive at around 07:30 am

Fushimi Inari doesn't have an opening time, so this is an area where you can gain a lot of time by going super early. The place is great real early in the morning before the people and heat (if you're going in summer) arrive.

Visit Fushimi-Inari-Taisha

How much time are you allotting for this? It takes about an hour to climb to the popular viewpoint, but you can do less of the trails if you like. From the viewpoint there are no longer views or as many torii gates so most people don't go much beyond there.

- Walk from Tenryuji Temple to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove (Is it correct that I should exit the temple via the north gate? Is there a faster way to get to the Grove from the temple?)

Yes, there is a gate at the north side of the temple garden (note that the temple building and garden have separate entry) that goes directly to the bamboo groves.

- Visit Okochi-Sanso Villa at the top of the mountain (Am I correct in thinking that I can access the Villa from the Grove?)

The entrance is at the intersection inside the grove.

- Walk from Okochi-Sanso Villa to Saga-Arashiyama Station (Take route that passes the Nonomiya Shrine)

I would go to Randen Arashiyama Station (near the entrance to Tenryuji) instead and catch the Randen Train to Kitano-Hakubaicho. The trains are more frequent, and you'll probably save a bit of time. You can then either catch the bus or walk to Kinkakuji. I'd walk as it's probably faster and the buses tend to get crowded from there.

- What are my best options now to get back to Kyoto station and get my luggage?

Direct buses from here generally take forever. Better to take a bus (101, 102, 204, 205) to Kitaoji Station and then the subway back to Kyoto Station.

The schedule feels busy for me, but maybe it is too cramped?

Sounds doable if you are a med/fast traveler and don't spend much time eating/shopping along the way.

I also have a question about bus 205. I assume there are two 205 services: one from Point A to Z and one from Point Z to A. When taking the 205 to Kinkaku-ji Michi, what direction do I have to travel?

Take the one in the direction of Kinkakuji. It'll say at the stop and on the buses.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 15:41
Just to clarify Yellow's comment on the bamboo grove, you need to enter the temple grounds to view either the temple and/or the garden. The garden has two entrances/exits. One is the temple grounds and the other the bamboo grove. The temple itself has only one entrance. The bamboo grove has multiple entrances, the one from Tenryuji's garden is a side entrance and you will enter midway along the grove. The intersection is nearing the end of the grove. It is a four way intersection; Grove, Villa, long walk to river, short walk to Sagano Romantic train station plus a lake that leads northwards.

I would prefer to take the tram from Arashiyama and then walk to Ryoan-ji. From there it is a 5 min bus ride or 15 min walk. The walk is nice as it goes through a residential area and the small shops are pretty.

It probably won't be too late when you reach Gion. You might want to consider visiting the small streets and lanes near Kiyomizudera. It gives a feel like Arashiyama just less food and less pricey. Lanes are smaller too.

Your itinerary is not busy for a fast paced traveler. I went to see Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ninnanji, followed by Arashiyama in one day. The sun was in the sky before i was done. (could still have dinner at Kyoto station and then a second dinner across the river from Gion) Furthermore, it was in November which is considered the peak season (crowds meaning slower movement speed) and where the daylight hours are lesser.

Is your accommodation near the Kyoto station? If so, you ain't wasting much time.

As Yellow mentioned, fushimi inari is open all day. If the morning isnt for you, the night is great too. I find the red lanterns lighted at night to be something very traditionally japanese.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 16:41
Thank you both very much for the information.

I would not say that I like to be a fast traveler and visitor, but since I have only one day in Kyoto, I am trying to do as much as possible.

Fushimi Inari doesn't have an opening time, so this is an area where you can gain a lot of time by going super early. The place is great real early in the morning before the people and heat (if you're going in summer) arrive.

Sunrise in Kyoto the 13th of may is around 5 am. Since I am traveling from Osaka, that might be a bit too early.

I might take the 05:55 JR Rapid Service and arrive at 06:28 in Kyoto. Ifll see how I feel.

How easy are the lockers in Kyoto station? Do they have instructions in English?

How much time are you allotting for this? It takes about an hour to climb to the popular viewpoint, but you can do less of the trails if you like. From the viewpoint there are no longer views or as many torii gates so most people don't go much beyond there.

I think I will take the trip up to the populair viewpoint and back. Maybe 2 - 2.5 hours in total?

I would go to Randen Arashiyama Station (near the entrance to Tenryuji) instead and catch the Randen Train to Kitano-Hakubaicho. The trains are more frequent, and you'll probably save a bit of time. You can then either catch the bus or walk to Kinkakuji. I'd walk as it's probably faster and the buses tend to get crowded from there.

Excellent information, thank you! Ifll have a look at Google Maps and HyperDia.

Just to clarify Yellow's comment on the bamboo grove, you need to enter the temple grounds to view either the temple and/or the garden. The garden has two entrances/exits. One is the temple grounds and the other the bamboo grove. The temple itself has only one entrance. The bamboo grove has multiple entrances, the one from Tenryuji's garden is a side entrance and you will enter midway along the grove. The intersection is nearing the end of the grove. It is a four way intersection; Grove, Villa, long walk to river, short walk to Sagano Romantic train station plus a lake that leads northwards.

Thank you. I assume everything is nicely pointed out with signs. (English, I hope ;) )

I would prefer to take the tram from Arashiyama and then walk to Ryoan-ji. From there it is a 5 min bus ride or 15 min walk. The walk is nice as it goes through a residential area and the small shops are pretty.

Ryoan-Ji was not in my itinerary. Where in my itinerary would this fit in? After the villa?

Thank you both so much for all the information! :)
by CoffeeWizard rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 16:43
with that much traveling and time wasting with luggage. you'll only get 2 of the 3 attractions done.

kinkajuku is 1hr
fishimi inari = 3 hrs
arashiyama = 4 hrs

you might get it all done if you visit fishimi inari first up and arrive by 7am.

7-10 fishimi inari
10-11 travel
11-3 arashiyama monkey park+bamboo grove+tenryuji+bridge
3-4 travel
4-5 kinkajuku

it is a big day, but if you are prepared for it, and have an easy day the day before. it could be done.

you could save some time by omitting things like not going to the top of the mountain at fishimi inari. or bypassing the monkey park etc?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 16:52
Hello Hakata14,

You are right, it is a very busy day.

I might drop Kinkakuji if I donft end up making it. I think I prefer to see the Grove over Kinkakuji. I donft see much point in running through the temple and not taking the time to let it soak in.

The Monkey park is not in my plan. It looks cute, but I can live with not seeing it. ;)

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 17:52
How easy are the lockers in Kyoto station? Do they have instructions in English?

There are English instructions for the IC card lockers, and I think there are for the regular coin based lockers. Either way, they're very easy to figure out and basically standardized across the country.

I think I will take the trip up to the populair viewpoint and back. Maybe 2 - 2.5 hours in total?

Yea, that sounds about right.

Thank you. I assume everything is nicely pointed out with signs. (English, I hope ;) )

Yes, I believe so. The main thing is that the exit is far back on the north corner of the garden (basically if you enter the garden and walk around the building, follow the trails without going up into the hills you should hit it. Note that the exit looks like it is in the middle of the groves on a map, but its more like at the beginning of the good part.

Ryoan-Ji was not in my itinerary. Where in my itinerary would this fit in? After the villa?

I think jh is recommending Ryoanji over Kinkakuji. They are pretty close to each other, but I would choose based on your interests. Ryoanji is slightly farther away, and will probably add some extra travel time to your trip.

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 18:08
I think the timing is ok to do everything. hakata14's time estimates are pretty on, and if you remove the extra sights that he added you get something like this:

3 hrs - Fushimi Inari including luggage storage and transport from kyoto station
1 hr - travel between Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama
3-4 hrs - Arashiyama including Tenryuji, Bamboo Groves, Okochi Sanso, Nonomiya and lunch
1 hr - travel to Kinkakuji
30-45 mins - Kinkakuji (its small and hard to spend more time there than this, unless its really crowded)
1 hour - travel back to Kyoto Station

A 7:00 arrival at Kyoto will get you back around 5:00. That's why as early a start as possible is recommended.

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 18:16
Ryoanji is nearer the tram station if that is your mode of transport.
I was recommending both. I am a medium-fast traveler depending on the day and area.

I do not believe that Fushimi inari will take that long. 1.5 hours up and down. 30 minutes just for the main shrine and the experience of the endless vermillion toori gates.

Fushimi Inari looks onto Kyoto (west) so you wouldnt see the sunrise either way.

There was once I did Kinakuji and Ryoan-ji in the morning. I try to do these first as they are pretty popular and if I do them in the afternoon I would have to experience them with crowds.
I then went to Arashiyama. I try to have an early lunch so I don't have to fight with the other hungry travelers. Next I visit Tenryuji and the Bamboo Grove while others are fighting for a lunch spot.
I will take the sagano rail train at 2 pm or 4pm depending on the time I spend in Arashiyama. I end the day by taking the train to Fushimi Inari (by about 6pm). You may replace this with Gion. Since Fushimi Inari doesnt close you can go either after Gion or in the early morning as you planned.

Since you can take the JR Train from/to Kyoto station to/from Fushimi Inari (Inari station), bus to Kinkakuji from Kyoto station, and JR train from/to Kyoto station to/from JR Arashiyama station: it makes life easy where to start and end your day.

Just an idea.
Since Ryoan-ji does open pretty early (8am), you can pop by there. Then Kinkakuji that opens at 9am. Reach Arashiyama before 11am for a quick walk of the area and an early lunch. Complete Arashiyama in three hours.
Take the Sagano train at 2pm.
Head to Kiyomizudera.
Evening at Gion.

Morning or Night at Fushimi Inari.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/4/25 19:02
Thank you all very much.

From your input I get the impression that the day is do-able, as long as I arrive early.

JH: your suggestion to switch around my plans for the morning and afternoon are interesting.

How would you travel from Inari Station to Royan-ji?

Thank you!

Re: Kyoto one day itinerary 2016/8/18 19:48
Good day!

Thank you for this itinerary, I intend to use it.

I hope you can help me by advising which passes I would be most useful if I use the same itinerary? Is it the Kyoto One-Day pass? Should I also buy bus passes?

Thank you for your help!

by dreamer365 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread