Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 01:55
OCN announced in 2016.03 that they would start throttling internet connections starting 2016.06.01. However Ive noticed that since 2016.03 that my FTP speeds are very slow. Last year I could easily reach 16MB/s on a file but now Im limited to 700KB/s per file. This is using filezilla with Whatbox (America server) and Feral Hosting (Netherlands). I tried regular ftp, ftp with tls, and sftp. This only effects ftp, my http downloads (regular downloads from the browser) are just as fast as before.

I know OCN has an upload limit, but I never upload and have never even used a torrent before.

Has anybody using OCN had their FTP throttled, or if your FTP speed is fine please say as well!

If OCN really is throttling FTP, can someone tell me an ISP that does not throttle?

by Open computer network (guest)  

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 12:24
Have you tried downloading something from a server in Japan? I sometimes get very slow speeds from US or EU servers, but that's only sometimes, so I think it's due to congested traffic. (I'm with So-net.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 14:27
Yes downloads from Japan servers are fine. Downloads to the Netherlands and USA are also fine, as long as I am NOT using FTP. FTP is the only type of dowload being slowed for me.
by Open computer network (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 14:35
Right, it's pretty clear that they are throttling it, then... As I said, with So-net I sometimes get very low speed to non-Japanese servers, mostly in the evening (Japan time) when there is a lot of traffic through the US (Japan-EU traffic goes through the US as well), but it is not limited to FTP.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 14:56
do you have your own global IP address, or share one IP address with other persons ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 16:45
I am the only person using this IP address, if that's what you mean. I have my own router and modem. My plan is the OCN hikari mansion plan, but I do not share an IP with other people in my apartment.

Anyone else with any other ISP have their FTP throttled? Or anyone know an ISP that doesn't throttle FTP?
by Open computer network (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/28 18:25
大量にデータをインターネットへ送信されているお客さまへの利用制限となります。
データ送信(上りデータ送信)が1日に30GBを超えた場合
they restrict UPLOADING, (not downloading), if your uploading exceeds more than 30GB per day.
P2P等の特定のアプリケーションを制御するものではありません。
this restriction does not intend to restrict the use of some special software like peer-to-peer software.

FTP servers may restrict the speed ?

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: OCN throttling FTP dowloads? 2016/4/29 04:40
Thank you for thr translation! The ftl server is not restricting the speed because my downloads from the ftp server using the web browser (http) is very fast. Whatbox even gives tips on how to increase ftp download speed for when the ISP restricts FTP, so I do not think they would restrict their own FTP downloads.
by Open Computer Network (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread