Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/4/29 15:03
Hi all,

I'd like to have suggestion on the better location to stay in Tokyo for my itinerary. I will arrive at Haneda at 6am and plan to hike Mt Mitake. The next day I'm leaving for Osaka with the 7-8am shinkansen and back to Tokyo 7 days later around 10pm. I will be flying out from Narita.

I used to stay at Ikebukuro, but it's quite a distance from Haneda nor shinkansen stations. This time I'd like to look for locations which is around 5-10 minutes away from shinkansen stations, preferably with close access to Akihabara, but not very expensive since I'm travelling alone (max 8000 yen or more if the location is really good).

Thank you.
by Moccy  

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/4/29 20:59
Shinagawa or Tokyo for the Shinkansen. Shinjuku for the Chuo line for Mt. Mitake. I'm sure there are hotel websites you can chose the area of Tokyo.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/4/29 21:18
I usually fly in and out of Narita airport. I tend to stay in Nippori, which is on the Yamanote Loop. Nippori is two stops away from Ueno towards Ikebukuro, so it is fairly close to a Shinkansen Station. It is four stops away from Akihabara. It also has a direct train to Narita airport using the Keisei Skyliner.

I stay at the Tokiwa Hotel, which is about 150 meters from the station exit. The hotel is also a few doors away from the Nippori Post office, and a postal ATM. The daily cost for a single is 7450 yen, which does not include a bath in the room. You will have to use the hot springs bath on the first floor. The room will have CAT5 cable for internet access, if that is important for you.

The other reason I usually stay here is Fabrictown in Nippori. My wife is a quilter, and I usually shop Fabrictown on the last day of my visit to bring home interesting fabric from Japan.

I have also stayed in Ikebukuro, and I agree, it seems to be a bit far from the shinkansen stations. I don't know if this fits your requirements, but it may work better than Ikebukuro.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/4/29 23:27
I too prefer to stay in Nippori as it's about 40 minutes non-stop by Keisei Skyliner to/from Narita Airport. Akihabara is 8 minutes away and Tokyo Station 12 minutes on the Yamanote Line.

Have stayed in Hotel Sunny, which is like a few steps from Nippori Station, the last couple trips to Tokyo. Their rates are also reasonable. Can be a bit noisy for some people due to the central location but the size of the room & bathroom which is pretty spacious by Japanese budget hotel standards. Their website http://www.hotelsunny.co.jp/index_en.html
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/5/1 02:57
We're staying at Horidome Villa Hotel. It's closest JR station is Kanda station , which is just one stop from Tokyo Station and Akihabara. Could walk to Akihabara in 20 minutes.
by Allicat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/5/1 10:01
Moccy,
For Shinkansen to Osaka, Shinagawa area is convenient. Shinagawa is along the JR Yamanote line, so easy to get to Akihabara as well (though not within walking distance).

Nippori is good if you are flying in/out of Narita.
by ...... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2016/5/1 15:35
Thank you very much for the comments! Shinagawa and Nippori looks like a perfect location. Based on these location, I found out that actually Shinagawa is not that far from Shinjuku from the Yamanote Line Outer loop. I always thought I need to ride the line passing Ikebukuro and Tokyo, all the way to Shinagawa.

I really appreciate the hotels recommendation. At this time, it seems most hotels have not opened the advanced booking for the next 7 months, so I have hard time finding it on online booking sites. The hotels are mostly marked as Sold Out.

Once again, thank you very much! Most likely I will stay at Shinagawa or Gotanda upon arrival and move to Nippori or Kanda before flying out.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread