Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for 2nd trip 2016/5/1 07:29
Hi everyone!

My family and I are planning our 2nd trip to Japan.

We have already visited Tokyo, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Osaka, Koyasan, Kyoto, Nara, Kanazawa and Takayama the first time.

This time around we are planning to go back to some places we really loved (Tokyo, Miyajima and Kyoto) and add a few more destinations (Nagoya, Mt. Fuji/Kawaguchiko and Kamakura for sure). We will be going in February, so I am aware of the fact that it will be cold and not all areas will be easily accessible. Keeping that in mind, we have 5 or 6 days still free - in the area between Miyajima and Osaka/Kyoto).

We would like to experience more rural/historical Japan (which still needs to be easily accessible as it will be winter - we will have a JR pass). Do you think Hagi and Matsue would be a good idea? What about Tsuwano? We are looking for small/rural towns where to have a nice ryokan experience.

What about Shikoku (Matsuyama and/or Takamatsu) instead?

Also, has anyone been to the Kiso Valley near Nagoya in winter?

Any other place that you can recommend is appreciated!

Thanks!
by pankarita  

Re: Itinerary for 2nd trip 2016/5/1 13:37
If you are as far west as Hiroshima. Go and do northern Kyushu. ie- Beppu, Yufuin, Fukuoka, Nagasaki and Mojiko.

There is also a Inari temple (similar to Fishimi Inari) in Tsuwano near Yamaguchi, which is half way between Fukuoka and Hiroshima.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 2nd trip 2016/5/1 14:49
I think you have some good ideas for your extra time. There are many great places to see in the Chugoku area - and most are not mobbed by tourists so you have a good chance to see things leisurely. Shikoku is another good idea, and Kagawa and Ehime are the more interesting prefectures there. Takamatsu has enough for a couple of days in fact, but at the very least the Ritsurin Garden is the real prize there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afx-Ju52FiY
And if you want a relaxing half day hike, Kotohira has one of the finest in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ley9rVIewoQ
Matsuyama has one of Japan's oldest hot springs, Dogo, and you can really enjoy yourself there as well. The castle is also an original and superb.
That said, there are a number of places you have skipped over and are worth a look. Kinosaki back in Hyogo is a famous hot spring area, and if you want the experience you should consider it. In Hiroshima Prefecture there is also Onomichi, plus in Okayama there is Okayama City with the Korakuen Garden, Kurashiki, and Bitchū-Takahashi. And Tsuwano is another idea. It is rather misleading to simply say it's halfway to Hakata from Hiroshima; in fact it entails a substantial side trip that overall takes about as long as going all the way down to Beppu. But the Taikodani Inari Shrine in Tsuwano is great - not as great as the Fushimi Inari in Kyoto, but with way, way less people and more relaxing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVe3XDTDMUU
The Maria Seido Chapel there is small and sobering, but a good piece of unknown history, and Yamaguchi has one of Japan's best yet unknown natural historical sights, the Akiyoshido Cave.
Hagi is also way, way off the tourist radar and the Mori Clan graveyards are something surreal.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-iCklzKpY1bURlDi2W89Q...
Matsue is another undersung place. The castle and samurai district are very good, and the garden at the Adachi Museum is nearly legendary (unfortunately not the best season to see it). But you could also go see Izumo and the Iwami Silver Mine.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 2nd trip 2016/5/1 15:47
As ken mentioned in the latter half
Exploring northern area of chugoku and Kansai.
Matsue. Izumo. Tottori. Amanohashidate. And the like. I would do it over Shikoku because it gives a traditional town feel and the attractions are all very unique.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread