Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quitting a teaching position mid-contract? 2016/5/5 13:52
I work for an ALT company and am not very happy with my current position and location. But my company refused to move me to another school, because they want ALTs to stay at a school for at least 2 or 3 years.

So I'm thinking about quitting mid-contract and looking for a better job. However, I'm worried that it will ruin my resume by making me look unreliable.

Any advice?

I feel stuck.
by J (guest)  

Re: Quitting a teaching position mid-contract? 2016/5/6 01:04
If you're worried it will ruin your resume then I would probably just not have it on your resume altogether unless you are ready to explain the reasons why you left the company should they ask during your interview. Especially if you've only been there for a few months or less than year. Most English Teaching companies will want someone who can commit to a minimum of one year. So if you don't want to run the risk of being asked why you left and you don't want to lie about it, then just don't put it on your resume.
by scubagirl rate this post as useful

Re: Quitting a teaching position mid-contract? 2016/5/6 08:55
Don't follow the advice of the first poster. Leaving out jobs in your resume looks bad because then you have a gap in your employment that you WILL be asked about in an interview, and you should definitely not lie and say you were sick/on holiday/etc.

When you say mid-contract, how far into the contract are you? You say they want you in the same school for two or three years, so are you a year or more in? That might be okay, since you have shown you can stay for at least one full year.

Either be truthful and accept the consequences of leaving early, or stay at your current job if you are worried it will look bad. You could always job-hunt while still working your current contract, and explain in any interviews why you want to change - they may understand your position.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quitting a teaching position mid-contract? 2016/5/6 10:36
You may be experiencing a bit of home-sickness/culture shock - been there, done that. You do get over it. I would say stick it out and try and make some new friends by joining clubs etc... and then it might not seem so bad.
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quitting a teaching position mid-contract? 2016/5/7 03:07
sq, that is why I stated that if the OP is not that far into his contract (ie a few months/less than a year) then it will not hurt him to leave it off his resume UNLESS he is ready to risk having to explain his reasons for leaving. A few months at a company that should've been 2 years will reflect far more negatively on him. No ALT's are hired for just a few months so potential employers will definitely know he broke his contract. A a few months unemployment gap on your resume is not uncommon and not a poor reflection of someone IMO. A 1 year gap though, different story.
by scubagirl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread