Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best route to Tateyama Alpine from Tokyo 2016/5/10 19:25
Hi, I will be going to Japan this year for 8 days. Arrive at KIX and depart from Haneda, route will be classic Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo and I plan to go to Alpine Tateyama as day trip from Tokyo. My question :
1. From that itinerary, I make rough calculation and conclude that it will be efficient to use JR pass 7 days combine with IC card . Is this correct or there is any other pass that is more efficient?
2. From Tokyo to Tateyama, the option are from Toyama or Nagano side, which one is more recommended in transportation availability, because if I'm not mistaken I've read that last transportation from Nagano to Tokyo is at 5PM? Kindly advice on this.

Thank you very much guys :)
by elielie (guest)  

Re: Best route to Tateyama Alpine from Tokyo 2016/5/11 17:19
If doing it as a day trip, then do it from the Nagano side, as most will be doing it from the Toyama side.

Last train from Toyama is at 9:20pm, and from Nagano is 10:08pm for M-F.

You can use hyperdia to check the train times for your date of travel.

Have you thought about using a the Hokuriku Arch pass with Tateyama Kurobe option ticket?

http://hokuriku-arch-pass.com/en/
http://www.jrtateyama.com/e/
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best route to Tateyama Alpine from Tokyo 2016/5/11 20:12
Hi Hakata,

Thanks for your reply.. just read about the hokuriku arch pass, it is indeed cheaper than JR Pass, but do some searching on hyperdia seems the travel time will be way longer when using this pass.
I will do some digging on this tho and check for the best option, money and time wise :) and yes for the alpine route I plan to use the Tateyama Kurobe option ticket.

Thanks for your insight, really appreciate it!
by elielie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best route to Tateyama Alpine from Tokyo 2016/5/12 06:29
Yes and no to time taken.

At some point you will spend 2.5 hours going Kyoto to Tokyo, then do you Alpine route (to Toyama) as a day round trip.

Or you could spend 2.5 hours going Kyoto to Toyama, stay overnight and then do Toyama to Tokyo via Alpine route.

Same number of nights. You are just switching one Tokyo sleep for a Toyama sleep.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best route to Tateyama Alpine from Tokyo 2016/5/12 11:26
Yes, actually that will do. Unfortunately i just found out and include this alpine trip at last hour, so hotel in Tokyo already been booked. That's why I plan to do this as day trip from Tokyo.
Will look on option to spend the night at Toyama and change my hotel arrangement. Thank you!
by elielie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread