Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/18 17:09
Dear Forumers

I made an inquiry to a hotel, but the answer was in Japanese and I am not sure to understand it. I filled a reservation form, and a few hours later, I got this anwser:
予約受付いたします。

Does this mean the reservation is accepted ?

Thank you very much

AK
by AK (guest)  

Re: Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/19 13:26
Yes.

But in this case
ご予約を承りました。 best as Japanese 謙り/遜りwith.

by Hc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/19 19:31
It literally says "We accept your booking," so if you filled out a reservation form with dates and all details, I would say yes it's been accepted.

If you asked (without any specific date) "Are you accepting reservation (just as an example) for May next year already?" and this one sentence came back, it just means "we are accepting reservations (in general)," but if you filled out their form with details, yes it is booked.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/19 22:58
Thanks. I filled in a reservation form online and got this answer with my reservation form below. The reservation form was in Japanese and I managed to fill it using google translate.

I got an e-mail 10 minutes later with the answer above and my reservation form, so I thought it might be an automatic e-mail.

I replied to the mail in English (+ Japanese translation via google translate) in order to confirm the reservation, but I am still waiting for an answer.

I hope it is indeed accepted because I'm desperately looking for an accomodation near Aomori during the Nebuta....

Anyway thank you every one for your answers !
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/20 11:39
I feel that this is one of those newer expressions we are seeing in Japan that doesn't really make sense. At least, I used to work in the travel industry and I can't really judge if the OP's room is reserved or not.

The literal translation of the phrase is "We will accept your reservation." I'm not sure if this is supposed to mean that it is actually accepted and the room is reserved accordingly.

As suggested, hotels usually say 予約を承りました or 予約が完了しました which means that the room is actually booked. Typically, they will also send you a confirmation slip to show that it's not on a waiting list.

I travel around the world, and I always make sure that I finally exchange at least one personal email with the hotel. What I mean is that I might receive automatic confirmations, but about a week before departure, I make a simple inquiry like "Do you have shampoo in your rooms?" to make sure they acknowledge me.

Even if rooms are truly reserved, some kind of confusion may allow bookings to get lost, so I make sure I do this. Even if it so happens that I arrive to the hotel to find that my room is not booked (which is extremely rare but does happen), I can show copies of the emails so that the hotel can be responsible for it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/21 11:22
It literally says "We accept your booking,"

I think it says "We will accept your booking, and I guess some very important part of the reply mail is omitted by the OP. For example, it may be that "当ホテルではご宿泊の1カ月前から予約受付いたします。" meaning "Our hotel will accept booking from one month ahead of your stay". As has been pointed, "予約受付いたします。" has meaningless in normal Japanese.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Quick translation for hotel reservation 2016/5/23 17:08
Thank you for your helpful replies. I wrote an e-mail to the hotel, but I did not receive any answer so far (it has been nearly a week), so I will assume the reservation is not confirmed yet and continue searching.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread