Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

International ATM in Okinawa 2016/5/28 00:17
I'm going to spend 6 days in miyakojima and after that
7 days in Naha Okinawa
Apparently they don't have seven eleven on those
Islands
Is there other international ATM on those island
Or am I in big trouble?!
by Sigal  

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2016/5/28 10:12
Post offices.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2016/5/28 10:12
International ATMs can be found at post offices. Every tiny island in Okinawa has one. The basics about ATMs are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2016/5/28 10:16
Oh, and there are also Seven Bank ATMs is some shopping malls and other such locations, mostly in Naha and Ishigaki. http://pkg.navitime.co.jp/sevenbank/?lang=en

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2016/5/28 11:13
I have never been to Okinawa but in reference to post offices, my debit card - an American bank chipped debit card with a Master Card logo did not work in POs - it worked fine at 7Eleven.

My non-chipped Cirrus (VISA) ATM card worked in the PO....

I just came back from Japan this week....

Hope that helps!

by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2018/6/9 17:13
We are in Miyakojima now and had issues at the post office ATM. When we tried to use out IC chipped ATM Visa card, the machine returned the card to us, said it could not process the transaction and that we should contact the bank that issued the card.

The only ATM we were able to use was the Aeon Bank ATM at the Aeon Town near McDonald's. It accepted our chipped card without issue.
by FabNicky rate this post as useful

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2018/6/9 19:26
Yes, Aeon Bank is another one to try when the post office fails. However, not all of their ATMs accept foreign cards. One can use the search engine here; the English version only displays those that do: https://map.aeonbank.co.jp/aeonbank/?lang=en

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2018/6/9 22:24
I had no trouble using my chipped card at any Don Quijote (DonKi) store a coupe of weeks ago. There are several in Okinawa. Check out their hanko vending machine while you are there.
by John711 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2018/6/10 09:39
For what it's worth, I always use the post office since for some reason my Bank of America debit card has never worked at a 7-11 ATM (which people swear by).
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: International ATM in Okinawa 2018/6/10 10:37
I spent 2 weeks in Okinawa in February and did not find it difficult to get money out. There is a fair number of 7 & i Holding bank ATM's around the place along with JP ATM's. If you see an ATM, I tend to take a bit more out than normal. 50,000 Yen seems to be the removal rate per transaction from memory....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread