Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IC Card Clarifications - travel in Japan 2016/5/29 10:20
I'm going to Japan in July 2016. I will be arriving in Osaka, then going to Himeji, Mt. Koya, Nara, Kyoto, Matsumoto, Nagano, Tokyo, (maybe Nikko), and Hakone; flying back out of Tokyo.

It sounds like I will be getting an ICOCA card as I will be arriving in Osaka but it isn't clear whether I will be able to to use it at many of my other destinations. From what i read, the top cards are all compatible and thus if a transit vehicle has an IC Card reader (connected to one of the major IC cards) then I should be able to still use the ICOCA card. However I have also read things that make it sound like this is not the case. While I do know that the IC Card won't be able to be used on every vehicle at every place I go, I want to confirm that I should be able to use it at the major destinations I am going to (Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo; maybe Himeji, Nara, Hakone, Matsumoto, and Nagano).

I have read the Japan Guide post on this but I still feel some of the information seems a bit contradictory.
Example:
- All major cards are now compatible.
- Not covered:Travel outside or between IC card areas. Both, the origin and destination stations have to be located inside the IC card's coverage area. Furthermore, it is not possible to use an IC card to travel between disjoined IC card areas. For example, you cannot use it to travel between Tokyo and Sendai or between Tokyo and Nagoya.

Not to mention, some of the other forum posts also seem to say different things. Can someone clarify?

Thanks!
by applegak (guest)  

Re: IC Card Clarifications - travel in Japan 2016/5/29 13:00
and thus if a transit vehicle has an IC Card reader (connected to one of the major IC cards) then I should be able to still use the ICOCA card.

That's right.

However I have also read things that make it sound like this is not the case.

They may simply be out-of-date. The compatibility is relatively recent.

While I do know that the IC Card won't be able to be used on every vehicle at every place I go, I want to confirm that I should be able to use it at the major destinations I am going to (Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo; maybe Himeji, Nara, Hakone, Matsumoto, and Nagano).

In Matsumoto and Nagano, the Icoca won't work on local buses. In Hakone, it is usually cheaper to use a Hakone Free Pass instead, and there are a few buses (Izuhakone buses) and means of transportation (I don't think that ropeways and ships accept them) that don't accept IC cards. Otherwise, your Icoca card will be okay on virtually all local transportation in the cities mentioned.

- All major cards are now compatible.

As a whole yes. But there are a few minor exceptions.

- Not covered:Travel outside or between IC card areas. Both, the origin and destination stations have to be located inside the IC card's coverage area. Furthermore, it is not possible to use an IC card to travel between disjoined IC card areas. For example, you cannot use it to travel between Tokyo and Sendai or between Tokyo and Nagoya.

That's right.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: IC Card Clarifications - travel in Japan 2016/5/29 15:11
The major cards all have their own website and they are very details on where they can be used. It is very simple and not difficult in any way. Google is your friend.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: IC Card Clarifications - travel in Japan 2016/5/29 17:14
Of the main cards, only Suica, Pasmo and Kitaca have English websites. You can find the links here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread