Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/5 10:57
I understand this is around the season the square watermelons go on sale in Japan and I've read a few articles last year of people purchasing them for shipment internationally.

I just want to ask someone who knows more then me, where can I go about contacting one of these farmers or the company. I can't seem to find any website or information online.

Thanks!
by Raxar (guest)  

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/5 14:24
I saw them in a Tokyo department store food hall.

Note that fruits like this are sold to give as fancy gifts. A square watermelon will set you back a fair bit of money.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/5 15:08
I've seen cubic and pyramid-shaped watermelons in fruit specialty stores like Sembikiya, including the branch in the basement of Daimaru next to Tokyo Station. Perhaps you could try to order from them, although I don't know that they ship internationally.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/6 13:05
Ah, I was hoping there would be a direct site or something. Well I contacted some of those shops and no reply yet but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.
by Raxar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/12 01:17
I remember vaguely that I saw a tv programme about these square watermelon some time back and it seems that they are grown mainly for the novelty and are actually not edible or rather they taste quite bad because of the way that they are grown. Can anyone confirm that? It seems such a waste to pay so much for a fruit that does not even taste good.
by nww rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/15 18:58
Yeah, it's true. Most of them aren't ripe enough but there's a small chance they could be ready too. You just don't know.

I still haven't found anybody in Japan that I can buy a couple from into California. :(
by Raxar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/19 02:17
I'm not sure why you want them, but if you have the intention to grow them you can consider these.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pc-lot-Free-shipping-Outdoor-Plants-...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-Package-50-Pieces-Seeds-Yellow-Waterm...

If the links don't work just go to aliexpress and search for watermelons.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/27 15:58
Zentsuji melons sell in mid- july and go for about 250-300 USD as I recall. A friend told me they sell them in a lot of places, and recently there has been an expansion in Canada.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to Buy Square Watermelon? 2016/6/30 11:15
Do you want to spend $100?
Started to ship.
http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160630/k00/00m/040/026000c
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread