Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/6 16:51
Hi all,

Sorry for the silly question but where or how can I, as a tourist, experience kotatsu? I was hoping to experience it when staying at ryokan, but it's not provided there. Otherwise, is it only prepared during winter time? I usually go during early spring or autumn where the weather is already cold.

Thank you.
by Moccy  

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/7 17:57
It is more of a winter thing, and more for homes rather than at hotels/ryokans. Seeing that you are from Singapore, you might find it cool in spring/autumn, but it might not be that cold for the locals...

If you come stay in a "minshuku" style of family-run inns, in colder weather, you might have a chance.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/7 23:24
Nowadays, even ordinary households don't use kotatsu, because once you get in you won't want to get out!

You might want to try contacting a city hall to see if there are any non-profit international exchange group members who can invite you for a home visit to experience their kotatsu. And it's better to do that in advance, because most households keep their kotatsu in the closet until deep winter.

If it were December, you might be able to ride the kotatsu-ressha which operated last winter.
http://www.sanrikutetsudou.com/?p=3549

I don't think that the majority of minshuku carry kotatsu for their guests. I wonder if electronic shops like Bic and Yodobashi lets their customers experience one.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/7 23:46
It's the experience of being in a cold room in a home that's not properly insulated, where it's too expensive to run a space heater,
so the only way to stay comfortable is to tuck your legs under a heated table and drink hot tea. While it may induce nostalgia for simpler times, It's not particularly charming or comfortable.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/13 20:42
I find them both charming and comfortable, though Uco has a point about them making one lazy!

You might give Tokyo Free Guide a try, as they seem to do a lot of custom tours and cultural exchange. One of their guides may be willing to invite you in for a go on their kotatsu.

http://www.tokyofreeguide.org/
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/13 21:30
It's not particularly charming or comfortable

Interesting! I guess I'm too Japanese, but it's the first time I heard anything like this, which is alright.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/14 00:12
Read an article on rocket news about a restaurant that has them: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/12/11/how-to-make-open-air-dining-in-w...
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experiening kotatsu 2016/6/17 10:15
The room I stayed at Taenoyu ryokan in nyuto onsen has it. not sure if all the rooms are equipped with it. nonetheless, it was a nice surprise.
by FQue rate this post as useful

reply to this thread