Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/13 06:12
Hello!

I'm traveling in August 24 days to Japan (+ arrival and departing day, both from Tokyo). Looking at guides and websites, I've crafted this itinerary. Could you please advise about it? We are getting a 21 days Japan Rail Pass.

Day 1: Nikko

Day 2: Matsumoto

Day 3: Takayama

Day 4: Shirakagawo

Day 5: Kanazawa

Day 6: stay in a temple?

Day 7: Himeji

Day 8: Kurashiki

Day 9: Hiroshima-Miyajima

Day 10: Osaka

Day 11: Koya-san

Day 12: Ise

Day 13: (free day)

Days 14-18: Kyoto (+ day trip to Nara)

Days 19-24: Tokyo (+ day trips to Kamakura and Hakone National Park).

Am I doing too much? Is there anything wonderful I'm missing? I've got doubts about days 12-13: I don't know if Ise is worth it and where to go the extra day. Day 18 I want to be in Kyoto for the Daimonji (bonfires at the end of the Obon).
Is a 21 days JPR worth it or I could use 14 days + regional passes and save money?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!
by Cristinaaa123  

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/13 12:21
Consider going Kyushu after Hiroshima?
by FQue rate this post as useful

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/13 14:33
Day 9 needs to be 2 days.

Also alot of your travels do not all travel from region to region. Unless you wanna spend 2-3 hours travel in morning, 1 hour dropping off bags at hotel, with the afternoon only for sightseeing?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/13 14:50
Also think about what can be done as day trips from other locations. Himeji and Osaka and Ise (at a stretch) can all be done as day trips from Kyoto for example.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/13 15:25
Hi Christina. You probably know this already but it will be really hot at the time that you go. I'm from the Gold Coast so I am pretty used to temps in the high 20's/low 30's but Japan is on another level.

If you are used to that, then that's fine, but if you arent I'd consider trying to get to cooler areas, eg northern Honshu, maybe Karuizawa, Kamikouchi, Nikko. The cities tend to be worse IMO, Tokyo can be terribly hot and Kyoto is ferociously hot.

But if you can tolerate the heat, it is a great time to be there.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/13 16:51
I am also against the "a new city everyday!" mentality.
Sure it would work for some places like Shirakawa-go that is really small and Himeji that has few attractions that are easily accessed.

However, it doesnt work for all places.
For example, You sure spend two days in Kanazawa as there much to do there.
Nikko takes anywhere from one to three days depending on what you plan to see/do. It is a region spread pretty widely. If you want to do some trekking or onsen hopping a day is surely not enough.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/14 05:17
Hi!

Thanks all for your help. I'll take into account your suggestions for redoing the route.

Yes, I'm aware that it'll be hot, but no other chance of going there in other dates.

One further question:for the Japanese Alps, which would you suggest best as a base to visit the rest? We will be using just public transport. I'm trying to reduce my trips.

Thanks!
by Cristinaaa123 rate this post as useful

Re: help, itinerary 24 days Japan (August) 2016/6/14 06:43
Matsumoto is a good base for Kamikouchi, maybe Tsumago. It has a nice castle and some good hotels (Buena Vista is great and the Richmond is very nice) but it does get hot there. Nagano is handier to the shinkansen line, and places like Bessho Onsen, and Karuizawa. I've never stayed at Nagano.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread