Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/14 16:12
Hi all,

I will be arriving in Tokyo Station platform 2 from Shinjuku Station. Then will be going to Kyoto by Shinkansen from platform 18. I will only have 10 minutes to change from platform 2 to platform 18. Is that enough time? I will also be carrying luggage.

Thank you
by Raymond (guest)  

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/14 19:19
What time of day? How big is the luggage? It could be done if your luggage is manageable and you are familiar with the station. Which by the question you seem not.

The trains on the Chuo Line between Shinjuku and Tokyo running every 3 minutes. Maybe get one earlier?

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/14 21:27
Here is a map of Tokyo Station to help you.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html

I agree with hakata14, it depends on the time of day, your familiarity with Tokyo Station and how much luggage.

You will have to get off the Chuo train, go down the escalator (or elevator), follow the signs to the Shinkansen, through the transfer gates, then up the escalator (or elevator) to platform 18, then locate your car on the Shinkansen.

Arriving another 5 minutes earlier would be better.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/14 23:22
You have to take long escalater from platform 2 with your luggage, 10 minutes is not enough.
by gooddays (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/15 09:24
I did a transfer in May2016 at 8:30am and is less than 10 minutes however I do not have luggage. It is wise to allow ore time said 15 minutes to be safer.
by ElbertPoh rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/15 10:15
Because you have the extra shinkansen gate to get through 10 minutes should be enough, but if you are unfamiliar or not confident, then it would be a little tight.

You have several options from Shinjuku and as the trains are frequent why not simply get an earlier one to give more transfer time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/15 16:53
Plan for more time in between so that you can find the next platform. Personally, I find Tokyo station to be big and crowded (not as bad as Shinjuku station though). Note that when your ticket says the shinkansen is for 9:00am, that means the train has arrived a few minutes before that time and will depart exactly at 9:00am.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/16 01:13
I don't know if this would work out in your plans, but if possible, I would recommend boarding the Shinkansen at Shinagawa station instead. I've been to Tokyo Station, and it is certainly a hike even when you're not on a strict schedule. Shinagawa, on the other hand, is a fair bit smaller, but all of the Tokaido Shinkansen trains stop there, and it is still connected to most spots in Tokyo. There's no price difference in using Shinagawa instead of Tokyo, but it would save you a few minutes to boot. You can get there from Shinjuku via the JR Yamanote line in 20 minutes, the same time it would take to get to Tokyo Station.
by SpyHunter29 rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer at Tokyo Station 2016/6/16 11:16
It is actually only five minutes between platforms (I timed from the Shinkansen to the B5 N'Ex platform one day), but if you get lost/delayed/other then you'll miss the train and have to re-ticket/get the next one. That includes any delay on the inbound train (which happens).

Just arrive slightly earlier and give yourself more time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread